You are here

SSL Six

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SSL Six

Postby jaminem » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Wonks wrote:
jaminem wrote:I think it looks banging....
But would you buy one?

Yes I would - heres why...

I have lots of character preamps, but Ive been looking at something clean, most notably a pair of Camden 500's thats £600 so i'm halfway there already. so stereo recording or room mic's or an acoustic, but with compression and EQ from SSL adds to the value.

Then I get the ability to route my master bus through those same channels with the EQ and route to the Mix buss compressor - looking at a full featured Mix SSL buss compressor from say SoundSkulptor is £400

Then I get the summing, monitoring and frankly an SSL mixer thrown in for £200.

Im not looking at it as a portable device, so the fact it doesn't have USB is no biggie at all for me....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:21 pm

The Korff wrote:In our infinite magnanimity (and also so we can hop aboard the hype-train) we've decided to unlock the SSL review, so it's available for all to read for free.

Boundless Generosity! :D :clap: :thumbup:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

SSL Six - read full SOS review

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Ramirez wrote:Interesting, but terribly ugly!

Looking forward to the review. I await the postman patiently...

We've unlocked the full SSL SiX review so you and everyone in the world can read it online today. You'll find it at:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/solid-state-logic-six
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,606 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: SSL Six - read full SOS review

Postby Ramirez » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Ramirez wrote:Interesting, but terribly ugly!

Looking forward to the review. I await the postman patiently...

We've unlocked the full SSL SiX review so you and everyone in the world can read it online today. You'll find it at:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/solid-state-logic-six

Thanks, but the postman duly delivered my magazine!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Ramirez wrote:Thanks, but the postman duly delivered my magazine!

I think it only fitting that you use our analogue format paper magazine to read up on Hugh's review of the analogue SSL SiX. :D
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,606 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Ramirez » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Ramirez wrote:Thanks, but the postman duly delivered my magazine!

I think it only fitting that you use our analogue format paper magazine to read up on Hugh's review of the analogue SSL SiX. :D

Quite. I began my subscription many years ago in anticipation of this very day.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:22 pm

I've been asked how much extra I'd pay...

Give it USB and I'd expect to (and gladly would) pay a couple of hundred more. I use a pair of SuperAnalogue channel strips in my travel rig, and I'd rather leave these at home. These came analogue-only with a digital I/O option - pity the Six doesn't.

Thanks Rezzy, for chiming in with your side of things :clap: . It's interesting to hear the thought process that goes into these things. I hope for your sake that the Six does well, but as your 'nearly' customer I also hope that it does well enough for you to produce a Six 'Pro' more suited to my needs! ;)

Just to be clear - I have a few bits of SSL in my studio and I love 'em all...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Lovely piece of kit. I agree with Wonks tough that I have a hard time seeing applications that extract the benefits without pairing it with an equally superb A/D. But of course there’s the badge, and that alone will certainly appeal to many. Hope they succeed!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Agharta » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Wow, that's a long review and Free to. Nice gesture. :thumbup:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 am

I will have to read the review slowly a few dozen more times but it appears to be more than I need
Except
For those few unexpected times when a special setup or routing is required, in which case I’m covered with this Six.

Plus I can get rid of a few pieces of gear that I keep for those special moments that mostly take up space as they collect dust.
We shall see how the price point converts once it reaches our fair forested shores.
Interested I am.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:42 am

I would have thought that anyone who wants the ‘SSL sound’ for a home or small recording studio, at this price, would be ecstatic with this mixer.
If you’d wanted the focusrite sound (AIR studios blue and yellow module) to include two mic’ pre’s, eq and stereo compressor you’d have spent a good deal more.
In addition you have to buy their A to D as an additional purchase or choose your own third party digital conversion.
The fact that you can use it as a summing mixer as well, if you like to work out of the box, then that would seem to me to be a no brainer.
I bought the focusrite twin mic’ pre-amp (that was £500 at the time without eq etc) and have gone the UAD Apollo route myself and have bought SSL plugins.
MOF
Regular

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:40 am

My Mackie mixer is still working fine and all I need at the moment, but if I had to go out and buy a new mixer, this would be the one I would get. I have never had a digital output from a mixer so is not really an issue for me.

Postby MadManDan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Leaving off the interface was the right way to go. Why add to the footprint, weight, and cost when the customer is going to have their own specific interface needs?
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:47 pm

MadManDan wrote:Leaving off the interface was the right way to go. Why add to the footprint, weight, and cost when the customer is going to have their own specific interface needs?
Because I don't want to take two boxes out with me when I'm using it as a portable device - which it purports to be.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm

MadManDan wrote:Leaving off the interface was the right way to go. Why add to the footprint, weight, and cost when the customer is going to have their own specific interface needs?

Most people with the wherewithal of buying the Six proabably have an interface with one of the standard protocols... or optional cards could have been an idea.

Wonks had made the point : in this time and age, the only application which still may get away without any digital affair is a (small) live show... where any pretension of "SSL sound" would be rather pointless (other than for the artist's ego, I guess). There's always the odd exception of course, but for almost any studio applications nowadays you want eventually to get the sound thru some converters.. and since the point of Superanalogue is purity (I ain't no expert, but insofar I understand the SSL console sound is given by more than that - summing thru VCAs, high voltage rails, etc not to mention the series-specific EQs and channel compressors) it seems odd to leave the conversion stage to chance.

But you may actually have a point as well: just occurred to me that people eyeing the Six may already have top notch converters in the studio.. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MadManDan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:31 pm

that's what i meant....especially in regards to number of interface channels. If they built one in and you needed more you.....
Use a second interface? Ridiculous. I see so many possible combinations of how this beautifully engineered board could get used that it is much better to leave the interface options in the end user's hands
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm

I can appreciate the views of many expressed here that it would have been nice to have some inbuilt conversion in the SiX, specifically so that it could book-end a DAW directly without need of an external interface/converter. Indeed, I made that same point in my review of the thing. And yes, the omission inevitably reduces the potential market for the SiX to some extent, just because it doesn't provide a simple instant solution that some users think they want. So it's not competing with the likes of the Audient ID interfaces, or the RME Babyface or whatever....

However, taking up Jim's point from earlier, as soon as you start thinking about going down that direct DAW integration road you quickly realise that you would either need to add an awful lot of complexity to the SiX, adding a lot of converters and elaborate interface software requirements, or you would have to simplify the analogue functionality of the mixer considerably -- which would then reduce it's unique feature set and corresponding appeal.

For many, one of the highlights is that the SiX can serve as an SSL summing mixer, so to interface that feature directly to the computer you'd need 12 D-As and some additional switching on the channels to route signals from the DAW into the various summing signal paths of the SiX. More buttons, more panel space, and a lot more electronics = more cost (and heat, and power, and an additional digital power rail...).

Same with with bringing the DAW returns into the mix-bus (to access the bus compressor) , into the monitoring, and into the Foldback chains which could add another eight D-As. So already we're up to 20 D-As. And do you bring those DAW returns back instead of one of the external analogue inputs, or as extra inputs?

And to get the SiX's mic signals into the DAW you'd need A-Ds on the first two channel Inserts sends (for direct record feeds), as well as on both the Mix A and Mix B outputs, so that's six A-Ds. And what about being able to access the two Cue sends or the LMC in the talkback chain? Possibly not, but some would complain if you didn't, so that's another three A-Ds and another D-A...

So 21 D-As, 9 A-Ds, plus a load more routing buttons, a lot more internal circuitry and a more complicated power supply and a USB interface, bespoke drivers, a control app.... Plus there would be digital clocks running around in a box with lots of sensitive analogue, so although all perfectly do-able, it's becoming a lot more challenging to design and construct. So maybe not such a good idea for only the second product SSL has designed for construction in the Audiotonix factory in China...

Moreover, this thing would no longer be a £1000 mixer, that's for sure... And people would still complain that it doesn't do something or other that they really, really must have...

Personally, I think the SiX offers a very reasonable and practical compromise. It is 'just' an analogue mixer, but one that does what it does very well, and it can be partnered with an interface/converter system of your choice to provide the precise facilities and quality you require. Which makes it very versatile and customisable to each individual's specific needs.

Usually, review gear gets packed up and taken away from me fairly promptly once I've finished my testing and writing, but the SiX has remained wired in at the side of my desk and has been in daily use, just because I've found it such a useful facility to have on hand. I think that actually says a quite a lot about the real-world practicality of the SiX.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I can appreciate the views

Well put, with this and the idea that people buying the six likely has already good A/D/A,I am now convinced :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:35 pm

So what's needed to complement the Six is a modular AD/DA to USB box or a high quality, no frills USB interface. Does such a thing exist?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Since the "B" word has already been broached, can I mention the UCA 202 ?

No! not suggesting for one picoSec that you partner a Six with a 202 but the wee interface IS very handy for bolting to a tape deck or hi fi system to dub analogue material.

Now, I am not aware of an upmarket converter of similar size? (the UCA is eminently rocketable) but maybe a decent 2 in 2 out converter exists that could be used with the mixer? I cannot at the moment glean the dynamic range of the Six but a USB 3.0 converter with a DR of around 110-120dB should be doable for around £100?
USB "three" because it would be very handy for such a device to have a meaty headphone output, maybe two?

Great minds Sam. Great minds!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext