You are here

SSL SiX

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SSL Six

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:40 am

Ah, thanks Hugh, i'd only read the paper version of the review.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 am

Dave B wrote:Elf, tell you what, just to keep the peace, I'll do you a deal. You buy the SiX and I'll buy you a 2/2 usb interface to go with it that you can keep keep in your laptop bag.

See? I'm nice like that. I just want everyone to be happy ... (considers our current political climate and elected representatives) ... Well ... _almost_ everyone ...
That house on 17 Mile Drive just got a little closer! :lol:

Let's wait until SSL release the SeVEN... :lol: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:57 am

But it may be an £800 TwO. :lol: :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:09 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Apart from the obvious lack of interfacing for podcasters this mixer ticks all the right boxes for me.
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Zukan wrote:Apart from the obvious lack of interfacing for podcasters this mixer ticks all the right boxes for me.

Even the 'affordable' one? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Wonks wrote:
Zukan wrote:Apart from the obvious lack of interfacing for podcasters this mixer ticks all the right boxes for me.

No. But I have a birthday coming up and I just know my friends here won't let me down. Not like the Buchla Easel debacle last year.
Zukan

Postby HenrikB » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi!

I got my SSL SiX a few days ago, and initial impression is that it is a really slick design, flexible and good sounding component for a small project studio. Noiseless, great EQ and routing.

My only issue at the moment is an audible "flutter" in the channel compressors under certain circumstances, In my case I discovered it while running a bass-heavy synth pad into the line input on channels 1 and 2, and when the pad-sound decays you hear a clearly audible flutter - switch off the compressors and the flutter disappears. The levels are well within limits so this is not a case of saturating the circuits. I was using headphones but it is also audible in my monitors.

Tried other sources as well, and smooth decaying bass will create the flutter, other sounds seem to work just fine, e.g. arpeggiators, drum machines etc. However, I was hoping to use the compressors to fatten bass-lines, so i will investigate this further. And I have only tested line sources so far, will also test mic'ed sources to see if there is any difference.

The master bus compressor is lovely...
HenrikB

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:39 pm

That's sad to hear. The old SSL channel compressor had an almost magical ability to grab any signal you could throw at it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm

HenrikB wrote:My only issue at the moment is an audible "flutter" in the channel compressors under certain circumstances, In my case I discovered it while running a bass-heavy synth pad into the line input on channels 1 and 2, and when the pad-sound decays you hear a clearly audible flutter - switch off the compressors and the flutter disappears. The levels are well within limits so this is not a case of saturating the circuits. I was using headphones but it is also audible in my monitors.

I suspect it's wave-shape following due to a fast release time constant. It's a common effect when using a fast recovery time, as the compressor tries to follow the low frequency waveform shape, resulting in a modulated amplitude output and the fluttery effect you describe.

I think it important to remember that the channel compressors in the Six are general-purpose with fixed parameters -- only the threshold is adjustable -- and I suspect their time-constants have been optimised for vocals, rather than powerful synth bass lines. This isn't the same fully-controllable channel comp as found in a 4000E/G or Duality console!

I would normally expect to set a compressor's parameters differently for a synth bass than other sources, so I'm not entirely surprised with your findings with the Six. And I don't think it can be counted as a fault as such. Just not the right tool for that rather specific job.

I thought it was a good compromise too. Again, it's a simplified design, but it seemed to work well on full mixes all the same.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Maybe it's preset to work at the old 'Fast' setting then?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby HenrikB » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi again,

I totally agree with Hugh Robjohns that the fluttering effect with synth bass is due to the (intended) compressor design and is not a design error. It sounds great with everything else I have tried, so I will just have to run the (bass|pad) synths through plugins and/or the bus compressor, which handles it fine.

After a couple of weeks with the SiX I must say I am still quite impressed with its sound and flexibility, and it will change my workflow/routing for sure.

The four stereo inputs make it a breeze to connect a couple of synths and a drum machine together for easy experimentation. You still have the two mic pres available for vocals/guitar etc.
HenrikB

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm

:thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby studio673 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

I thought it was a good compromise too. Again, it's a simplified design, but it seemed to work well on full mixes all the same.

H

How does a bass guitar sound through the Mix bus G compressor?
studio673

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am

Zukan wrote:
Wonks wrote:

No. But I have a bnirthday coming up and I just know my friends here won't let me down. Not like the Buchla Easel debacle last year.

Spend the money on an Easel instead, if you haven't done so already, it'll give you more smiles per mile.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 am

Hell's bells I'm gassing for this thing but I always have been a sucker for luxury items!

I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right? Is it not a Swiss Army Knife of a mixer to sit alongside a larger console?

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up, for example, which amounts to four stereo instrument sources (laptop/soundcard, two synths and a drum machine) and one mono instrument source (a monosynth), a mic and the line output from a valve amp attenuator/load box. I also have an analog delay fed by an aux send returning via a mono input channel and two stereo effects processors (a reverb and a delay) across four group busses and, last but not least, a compressor across the mix bus. I suppose the last could be replaced by the built in compressor. I also like to be able to route my desk output to either the laptop for recording or the drum machine for sampling (for it is in fact a sampling drum machine).

I don't see how I can achieve all of the above on this?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 am

jellyjim wrote:Hell's bells I'm gassing for this thing but I always have been a sucker for luxury items!

I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right? Is it not a Swiss Army Knife of a mixer to sit alongside a larger console?

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up, for example, which amounts to four stereo instrument sources (laptop/soundcard, two synths and a drum machine) and one mono instrument source (a monosynth), a mic and the line output from a valve amp attenuator/load box. I also have an analog delay fed by an aux send returning via a mono input channel and two stereo effects processors (a reverb and a delay) across four group busses and, last but not least, a compressor across the mix bus. I suppose the last could be replaced by the built in compressor. I also like to be able to route my desk output to either the laptop for recording or the drum machine for sampling (for it is in fact a sampling drum machine).

^ Simples. Buy two!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am

ef37a wrote:
jellyjim wrote:Hell's bells I'm gassing for this thing but I always have been a sucker for luxury items!

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up ...

^ Simples. Buy two!

Dave.

haha, or just get it anyway and just use it for stroking "mmmm, s-s-l, mmmmm" etc

addendum: not that it not fitting my needs is a criticism by any means, it most clearly is a very wonderful and useful bit of kit and I love that an SSL engineer chimed in and explained the design principles - which made good sense
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 am

HenrikB wrote:Hi!

I got my SSL SiX a few days ago, and initial impression is that it is a really slick design, flexible and good sounding component for a small project studio. Noiseless, great EQ and routing.

My only issue at the moment is an audible "flutter" in the channel compressors under certain circumstances, In my case I discovered it while running a bass-heavy synth pad into the line input on channels 1 and 2, and when the pad-sound decays you hear a clearly audible flutter - switch off the compressors and the flutter disappears. The levels are well within limits so this is not a case of saturating the circuits. I was using headphones but it is also audible in my monitors.

Tried other sources as well, and smooth decaying bass will create the flutter, other sounds seem to work just fine, e.g. arpeggiators, drum machines etc. However, I was hoping to use the compressors to fatten bass-lines, so i will investigate this further. And I have only tested line sources so far, will also test mic'ed sources to see if there is any difference.

I'm interested in the overal "sound" of this mixer, were you using another mixer before you got the Six? And if you had to describe the sonic differences/qualities how would you describe them? I thought the Six may be a replacement for my Mackie 1202 that I use for live work, compressors, talk back would be very useful, but it's a hell of an investment, and there would have to be benefits in every way.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 am

jellyjim wrote:I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right?

It's 'an ickle' mixer with SSL build quality and circuitry. It's not a Duality console. It's not a computer interface. It's not a Behringer.

If you want something that mixes a few channels together with some flexible facilities in high-quality and with a reasonable monitoring section, it might be the perfect tool. If you want to mix a lot of sources together, or need a lot of mic preamps, or want complex four-band EQ or fader automation, this isn't the tool for you.

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up...

The Six can accommodate up to 12 inputs for summing. If you need more than that (or more than two mic inputs) you'll need a bigger mixer. SSL have a variety of larger mixers available, as do many other manufacturers. :D

You can't. Your requirements demand a larger console... or interface. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SSL release a bigger version of the SiX (maybe a TWeLVE*) console very soon... :lol:

(*Notional name only)
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext