You are here

SSL SiX

Page 6 of 9

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 am
by jellyjim
Hell's bells I'm gassing for this thing but I always have been a sucker for luxury items!

I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right? Is it not a Swiss Army Knife of a mixer to sit alongside a larger console?

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up, for example, which amounts to four stereo instrument sources (laptop/soundcard, two synths and a drum machine) and one mono instrument source (a monosynth), a mic and the line output from a valve amp attenuator/load box. I also have an analog delay fed by an aux send returning via a mono input channel and two stereo effects processors (a reverb and a delay) across four group busses and, last but not least, a compressor across the mix bus. I suppose the last could be replaced by the built in compressor. I also like to be able to route my desk output to either the laptop for recording or the drum machine for sampling (for it is in fact a sampling drum machine).

I don't see how I can achieve all of the above on this?

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 am
by ef37a
jellyjim wrote:Hell's bells I'm gassing for this thing but I always have been a sucker for luxury items!

I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right? Is it not a Swiss Army Knife of a mixer to sit alongside a larger console?

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up, for example, which amounts to four stereo instrument sources (laptop/soundcard, two synths and a drum machine) and one mono instrument source (a monosynth), a mic and the line output from a valve amp attenuator/load box. I also have an analog delay fed by an aux send returning via a mono input channel and two stereo effects processors (a reverb and a delay) across four group busses and, last but not least, a compressor across the mix bus. I suppose the last could be replaced by the built in compressor. I also like to be able to route my desk output to either the laptop for recording or the drum machine for sampling (for it is in fact a sampling drum machine).

I don't see how I can achieve all of the above on this?

^ Simples. Buy two!

Dave.

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am
by jellyjim
ef37a wrote:
jellyjim wrote:Hell's bells I'm gassing for this thing but I always have been a sucker for luxury items!

I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right? Is it not a Swiss Army Knife of a mixer to sit alongside a larger console?

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up ...

I don't see how I can achieve all of the above on this?

^ Simples. Buy two!

Dave.

haha, or just get it anyway and just use it for stroking "mmmm, s-s-l, mmmmm" etc

addendum: not that it not fitting my needs is a criticism by any means, it most clearly is a very wonderful and useful bit of kit and I love that an SSL engineer chimed in and explained the design principles - which made good sense

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 am
by Arpangel
HenrikB wrote:Hi!

I got my SSL SiX a few days ago, and initial impression is that it is a really slick design, flexible and good sounding component for a small project studio. Noiseless, great EQ and routing.

My only issue at the moment is an audible "flutter" in the channel compressors under certain circumstances, In my case I discovered it while running a bass-heavy synth pad into the line input on channels 1 and 2, and when the pad-sound decays you hear a clearly audible flutter - switch off the compressors and the flutter disappears. The levels are well within limits so this is not a case of saturating the circuits. I was using headphones but it is also audible in my monitors.

Tried other sources as well, and smooth decaying bass will create the flutter, other sounds seem to work just fine, e.g. arpeggiators, drum machines etc. However, I was hoping to use the compressors to fatten bass-lines, so i will investigate this further. And I have only tested line sources so far, will also test mic'ed sources to see if there is any difference.

The master bus compressor is lovely...

I'm interested in the overal "sound" of this mixer, were you using another mixer before you got the Six? And if you had to describe the sonic differences/qualities how would you describe them? I thought the Six may be a replacement for my Mackie 1202 that I use for live work, compressors, talk back would be very useful, but it's a hell of an investment, and there would have to be benefits in every way.

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 am
by Hugh Robjohns
jellyjim wrote:I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right?

It's 'an ickle' mixer with SSL build quality and circuitry. It's not a Duality console. It's not a computer interface. It's not a Behringer.

If you want something that mixes a few channels together with some flexible facilities in high-quality and with a reasonable monitoring section, it might be the perfect tool. If you want to mix a lot of sources together, or need a lot of mic preamps, or want complex four-band EQ or fader automation, this isn't the tool for you.

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up...

The Six can accommodate up to 12 inputs for summing. If you need more than that (or more than two mic inputs) you'll need a bigger mixer. SSL have a variety of larger mixers available, as do many other manufacturers. :D

I don't see how I can achieve all of the above on this?

You can't. Your requirements demand a larger console... or interface. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SSL release a bigger version of the SiX (maybe a TWeLVE*) console very soon... :lol:

(*Notional name only)

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:50 am
by The Elf
Hugh Robjohns wrote:However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SSL release a bigger version of the SiX (maybe a TWeLVE*) console very soon... :lol:
I'm sending the two Rons around to have a, ahem... conversation with you about what you know... :lol: ;)

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am
by Hugh Robjohns
Not me mate... I know nuffink... :lol:

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:34 pm
by ef37a
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
jellyjim wrote:I don't quite get it though. It's not a complete solution, right?

It's 'an ickle' mixer with SSL build quality and circuitry. It's not a Duality console. It's not a computer interface. It's not a Behringer.

If you want something that mixes a few channels together with some flexible facilities in high-quality and with a reasonable monitoring section, it might be the perfect tool. If you want to mix a lot of sources together, or need a lot of mic preamps, or want complex four-band EQ or fader automation, this isn't the tool for you.

I don't see how it can accomodate even my modest set up...

The Six can accommodate up to 12 inputs for summing. If you need more than that (or more than two mic inputs) you'll need a bigger mixer. SSL have a variety of larger mixers available, as do many other manufacturers. :D

I don't see how I can achieve all of the above on this?

You can't. Your requirements demand a larger console... or interface. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SSL release a bigger version of the SiX (maybe a TWeLVE*) console very soon... :lol:

(*Notional name only)

And maybe with just S/PDIF out on the main mix?
My suggestion of two mixers was not altogether in jest? I can see two 6's would bend the plastic mightily but very often people run out of inputs on "lesser" machines and it can be the case that although a 16 input mixer is difficult to plant, Room can be found for two smaller footprints?

Dave.

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:39 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
ef37a wrote:And maybe with just S/PDIF out on the main mix?

I think the market for which the SiX was designed tends to be quite fussy about converters. So the decision was taken to make the SiX a superb analogue desk -- without any nasty square-edged digital stuff flying around its innards -- and leave the choice of whatever fashionable flavour of digital conversion was required to the end user to be connected externally. I can see the sense in that.

H

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:00 pm
by Zukan
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Not me mate... I know nuffink... :lol:

You speak with forked tongue!

Image

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:02 pm
by ef37a
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:And maybe with just S/PDIF out on the main mix?

I think the market for which the SiX was designed tends to be quite fussy about converters. So the decision was taken to make the SiX a superb analogue desk -- without any nasty square-edged digital stuff flying around its innards -- and leave the choice of whatever fashionable flavour of digital conversion was required to the end user to be connected externally. I can see the sense in that.

H

'Spose, but, put it in a tin with feed through caps and some RF chokes? Be ok.

Ok, that was a bit twee Hugh but you review plenty of digital stuff with noise floors around -120dB fs and I am sure SSL are up to that?

Dave.

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 pm
by The Elf
I'm reserving a HUGE facepalm if they miss off digital interfacing this time around! :lol:

(Only semi-serious!) :wink:

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
ef37a wrote:... I am sure SSL are up to that?

I'm sure they are... but it's their call to build things to suit the markets they perceive want their stuff. I've no idea what the sales are like for the SiX, but I've met plenty of people who either aspire towards or have already bought SiXs, and a considerably larger number of people who have rejected it as inappropriate for their workflows and requirements...

The inability to serve as an USB interface is the most common criticism I've been hearing, and most have said they want direct USB (or Dante) connectivity rather than S/PDIF or AES3 etc. But as the nice man from SSL said when I looked at the SiX, SSL is a mixer and signal processing manufacturer, not an interface company -- and the interface market is pretty heavily saturated and highly cost-competitive. Perhaps they're unconvinced they could make sufficient headway into that market? I dunno.

But I do think there is a reasonable market for affordable, small-scale analogue SSL consoles, and now that SSL have access to Audiotonix's Chinese production plant that has become a very real option. There are lots of people with Mackies and A&Hs etc that would love something from SSL in their place if it didn't require the selling of major body parts.

It's an interesting time for SSL, and the company is branching out into some new market areas with some very interesting products.

H

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm
by The Elf
Interesting that you've met more 'nearly' customers like me then, Hugh. I was afraid that may be the case.

A SiX without digital I/O was not for me. I doubt that a TWeLVE *with* digital I/O would be for me, either. I don't need more channels, a bigger footprint, or a wider price tag.

I find the idea of Dante interesting. I didn't have much success with it in my recent attempts to use it, but I do feel it lies in my future.

Re: SSL Six

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:31 pm
by James Perrett
I wonder if there is a good case to be made for SSL adding an accessory connector to a future version and then creating a matching digital box that attaches to the mixer somehow. A bit like a laptop docking station perhaps?