You are here

Neumann KH310a or KH120a with 805 sub?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Neumann KH310a or KH120a with 805 sub?

Postby dickiefunk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi guys. I haven't bought the KH310's yet as I'm hanging on to see if there is any news regarding DSP versions of the KH120's as this is what I'd really prefer for my setup.
One thing I haven't taken into consideration is the desk I would be mounting the KH310's on. At the moment I have my KH120's mounted on some IsoAcoustics ISO-155 stands which. I was quite surprised how much difference these made to the overall clarity compared to having them directly on the desk. The bass is less boomy and more defined and the mids have also noticeably improved. I'm also Because the KH310's go lower than the KH120's I'm wondering I'm wondering if I would be better off with smaller monitors on my desk even if I'm using IsoAcoustics stands? I've also found that having the sub take care of the lowest frequencies helps with the mid-range on the KH120's.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Mounting any speaker on a decent isolation stand will always bring great improvements compared to just plonking it directly on the desk, for a variety of reasons.

And those IsoAcoustics stands are extremely good and I happily recommend them. You'd need different (or reconfigured) stands for the KH310, though, because of its wider base. It would probably be a little unstable on stands built for the KH120.

But critically, the KH310 is quite a different beast to the KH120. It's a sealed cabinet and a three way design, and they are significant factors.

Yes, it has a greater bass extension... so in most situations you just don't need a subwoofer at all, and thus don't need to be concerned about the matching intricacies of blending a sub with the satellites.

If you really want the flatter mid-band frequency response and tighter impulse characteristic that a notional KH120 DSP would provide, then either buy KH80s now -- there is no practical difference in usability between the KH80 and KH120 when used for nearfield monitoring -- or invest in one of the third-party room correction systems.

Easy peasy...

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Trinnov Optimiser... because although it's not cheap, it really does do the best possible job!

However, staying in the antiquated world of analogue speakers for a moment, the KH310 provides a noticeable step up from the KH120 in terms of mid-range clarity and resolution, as well as a greater bass extension... There are genuine benefits to separating the bass, mid and treble to their own optimised drivers. And it may well be that these speakers can provide you with whatever it is you're seeking....

Decisions, decisions....

The one thing I can say is that if you can buy the KH310s at a good price, you're unlikely to lose money on them if you decide to move them on and stick with what you have now, or invest in KH80s instead...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Looks like the deal on the KH310’s was too good to be true so it looks like I won’t be getting these.
Think I’ll hang on now to see if Neumann release KH120 DSP’s.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Previous