You are here

Simple recording of practice sessions - suggestions welcomed...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Simple recording of practice sessions - suggestions welcomed...

Postby Kwackman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Listening on laptop speakers...
To my ears that's pretty good for a live recording.
The amount of words squeezed into some of those lines explains the deep breath at the start! I'm biased, but I'd like to have had the acoustic guitar a bit louder, especially at the break around 1'24. I liked the build up to the "kitchen sink & all" bit starting around 2'10.
Nice one. :thumbup:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Kwackman wrote:To my ears that's pretty good for a live recording.
Kwackman wrote:but I'd like to have had the acoustic guitar a bit louder, especially at the break around 1'24.
Someone might have knocked the volume control on his amp and not noticed initially... :oops:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm

If you are just using these as reference tracks so that you can judge what works / what doesn't etc then I think that you've pretty much achieved your objective. You can probably improve things a little further with some 'post production' tweaks but do you really need to?

I've been recording my lot since I got my Livetrak at Christmas. I started out cleaning up all the tracks to make them sound the best I could be after a few rehearsals it was more a case of just focusing on bits that we needed to work on (structures, intros and endings - that sort of thing) so that we could say - 'that's the reference, let's do it this way every time'.

Recording a demo for the web site is a different matter. Hopefully finishing that next week.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Yep, they're reference tools - and maybe a bit of teaser stuff for social media - but nothing more. They're also giving me a good idea of what we'll need to record 'live' and what we can overdub when we do the proper recordings.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm

And here's another example of the value of being able to properly listen back: https://soundcloud.com/the-southern-wil ... 09/s-L4VfJ
Turns out I was flat pretty much the whole way through the song :(
Oh well, tells me what I need to work on, and that was the purpose of the exercise.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous