You are here

Roland VT-4 Connectivity

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Roland VT-4 Connectivity

Postby Durr GaGa » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Folks,

Having just read the review in this mont's SOS, I am considering the purchase of Roland VT-4. Although this unit is designed for voice, I am interested in using it to manipulate the audio output from my Moog Mother 32 and DFAM.

Can I plug the audio OUT from my mono synthesisers straight into the microphone IN socket on the VT-4? In other words, if I am mindful or volume levels, can I plug a line level output into a microphone input?

Many thanks,

Steve
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Re: Roland VT-4 Connectivity

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:21 pm

It can be done but mic level is well below line level and the impedance will be somewhat different to a line input, some kind of attenuator at least would be sensible. A DI box would match both level and impedance, passive if no phantom power or, if phantom is available, an active Orchid Micro DI at £25 would be my choice.

edit :- Just looked at the VT-4 on Roland's website and the input looks to be a combi XLR/Jack which usually accept line level on the jack input so you'll probably be fine.

edit (again) :- the manual shows the TRS as a balanced mic input so I'd go for a DI to be safe, phantom is available but no details of voltage or input impedances etc so a passive DI might be safest (but you could just try it first, you are very likely to damage anything).....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Durr GaGa » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:25 am

Thank you Sam, a very comprehensive answer and thank you for the active DI recommendation at a very reasonable price. Yes, the VT-4 does have Phantom power but having looked at the manual (download from Roland) all the connection diagrams simply show microphone hook-ups.

I have a passive attenuator in my (small) Eurorack bank so if I do take this route, I will try with one in place first and build up from there.

Thanks again for your advice.
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:24 am

That makes sense. No reason not to use it for synths (or anything else) but some level matching before it goes into the VT might be necessary to prevent the preamp distorting.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........