You are here

Today's gripe

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Today's gripe

Postby OneWorld » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Why, when equipment manufacturers add a USB socket to their equipment, why don't they mount them the same way up? OK there are those that will say "What's the big deal" well, some sockets are hidden away, in quite difficult to access places.

One of my synths has all connectors hidden away under a 'shelf' sort of thing, and I can understand that might be good design, as we don't want an array of connectors stuck out the back, waiting to be snapped off. So to make insertion easier, why not always have the sockets the same way up?

And the same goes for SSD cards, of which some are quite delicate and you don't know you've done it wrong till you've done it wrong and it's too late - bah humbug
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Today's gripe

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:11 pm

The sockets are all PCB mounted but, with double sided boards, some may be 'on top' and others 'underneath' depending on the rest of the device?
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8950
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Today's gripe

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 pm

...or the boards may be mounted upside down for practical constructional/ assembly reasons...

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 22956
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Today's gripe

Postby OneWorld » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...or the boards may be mounted upside down for practical constructional/ assembly reasons...

H

Yep, that's it, same with when I drop my toast
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Today's gripe

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I have one of these 'mirror on a stick' for such situations:

Image

The one shown even has LED lights so you can see what you're up to... mine doesn't and was very cheap... £3 or £4 if I recall....

... and while I'm here... How many more different sizes of USB socket are going to be invented? I know we have tiny devices that can't accommodate the 'originals' but somewhere along the line the 'Universal' bit seems to have been forgotten.
User avatar
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6276
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Cirencester, Gloucestershire, UK

Re: Today's gripe

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:... and while I'm here... How many more different sizes of USB socket are going to be invented? I know we have tiny devices that can't accommodate the 'originals' but somewhere along the line the 'Universal' bit seems to have been forgotten.
+1!

I used to think it was annoying when MIDI sockets were mounted 'upside down', but the plethora of USB connectors is utter lunacy - I suspect accountants at work...
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12097
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Today's gripe

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 pm

'Mirror on a stick' Mike?

When I googled this I found them referred to as a rather more upmarket 'Telescopic Extension MIrror' :mrgreen:

Presumably that's so they can charge more for them :headbang:

Here's an Amazon.co.uk bargain if you're quick though - just £4.49 for the next five days:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-60515-T ... B008H06O46

Image

Just £4.99 with two LEDs! :thumbup:


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 13394
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Today's gripe

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Same thing's been £2.99 since before Christmas at BM Stores - if you've got one of their stores nearby...

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/rol ... ror-307040

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Today's gripe

Postby OneWorld » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Martin Walker wrote:'Mirror on a stick' Mike?

When I googled this I found them referred to as a rather more upmarket 'Telescopic Extension MIrror' :mrgreen:

Presumably that's so they can charge more for them :headbang:

Here's an Amazon.co.uk bargain if you're quick though - just £4.49 for the next five days:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-60515-T ... B008H06O46

Image

Just £4.99 with two LEDs! :thumbup:


Martin

Where's the USB socket on it?

But - if things get that bad where I have to buy a selfie stick then that's the end of my world as I know it and am still of a mind where I get to thinking it's a conspiracy, they put USB sockets on any which way so as to create a 'value added' dimension to the product and so create a market for selfie sticks.

Actually, there's a serious side to all this. Last week I wanted to plug in a USB key into my lovely iLama 4K 40 incher. The way I have things set up, it is hard to get to the USB and other sockets, they are sort of facing upside down and within a sort of 'channel'

Now if the socket were more accessible I could have simply reached around and plugged it in. Because I am not a double jointed man made of rubber, what I really should have done is unplug and move the synth and control surface, then ease the monitor forward so I could get access. But instead I tilted the monitor forward, and rootled about for the hole, and yep you know what's coming, the monitor fell forward, my reflexes being quick as lightning I thrust out my other arm to stop the monitor falling flat on its face, onto all those pesky knobs on the synth - phew I thought, caught it, before it had even travelled 45 degrees.

ON putting the monitor upstanding again, I found it was a case of premature jubilation, there was a big fist mark right in the middle of the screen, as when I stopped it falling, it was the back of my hand that stopped it and my knuckles left their mark - one monitor KO'd. I won't do that again, a trip to the tip with £500's worth of monitor :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Today's gripe

Postby ben howes » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 pm

+1
At least the USB 'C' design works both ways up.
At work we have these hot desk hubs where you just connect your laptop by USB'C' connector. It is magically able to send video to dual displays, charge the laptop battery up rapidly, connect to Ethernet, as well as mouse and keyboard. You don't even need to push the power button.
I'm impressed with that.
ben howes
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Today's gripe

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm

USB C is nice. The sooner the USB fairy waves her magic hub and changes all the USB plugs and sockets in the world to USB C, well, what a happy world it will be. With one of the biggest frustrations in human existence removed think what we might achieve as a species with all that extra energy and goodwill.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6807
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: Today's gripe

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:57 pm

...and then along will come USB D, E, F...
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12097
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Today's gripe

Postby fruitcake » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 pm

You youngsters need to spend a month with some NUBUS cards and SCSI connectors! :beamup:
fruitcake
Poster
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 am

Re: Today's gripe

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 pm

OneWorld wrote:ON putting the monitor upstanding again, I found it was a case of premature jubilation, there was a big fist mark right in the middle of the screen, as when I stopped it falling, it was the back of my hand that stopped it and my knuckles left their mark - one monitor KO'd. I won't do that again, a trip to the tip with £500's worth of monitor :-(
Ooof! :(
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6431
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Today's gripe

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:48 pm

fruitcake wrote:You youngsters need to spend a month with some NUBUS cards and SCSI connectors! :beamup:
Me and SCSI were intimate!! :smirk:

The number of different combinations of cables I had to keep... I still have a load of them for those moments when somebody brings one of those damned old samplers to hook up, because it's 'cool'... :headbang:

Makes USB seem kinda friendly... :beamup:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12097
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Today's gripe

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 am

fruitcake wrote:You youngsters

Why, thank you!

Actually for sheer nightmare nothing beats RS232. I've still got my breakout box somewhere.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6807
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: Today's gripe

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:34 am

At one time our main music computer was sitting under a desk and the rear was very inacessable.

I bought a rake of 500mm USB 2.0 extension cables from 'Zon and used sticky pads that take cable ties to bring the ports out front along the top of the case.

A similar problem aflicted my 2496 soundcard and the RCAs and MIDI and S/PDIF connectors were brought up to a breakout box on the wall. Audio was 1/4" TRS and DIN for MIDI, RCA for digital.

A few hours bashing metal and soldering can save you a lifetime of groping amongst the dust and spiders.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds

Though I got mine from the saddly missed Maplins.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Today's gripe - furthermore

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 am

ef37a wrote:At one time our main music computer was sitting under a desk and the rear was very inacessable.

I bought a rake of 500mm USB 2.0 extension cables from 'Zon and used sticky pads that take cable ties to bring the ports out front along the top of the case.

A similar problem aflicted my 2496 soundcard and the RCAs and MIDI and S/PDIF connectors were brought up to a breakout box on the wall. Audio was 1/4" TRS and DIN for MIDI, RCA for digital.

A few hours bashing metal and soldering can save you a lifetime of groping amongst the dust and spiders.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds

Though I got mine from the saddly missed Maplins.

Dave.


And furthermore what gets on my box is those capture things where is says "click on the boxes where there are traffic lights etc" But the pic itself might include the lights themselves, then the stantion, then the pole that supports the stantion - so just like now where I have logged into another site, the capture thing starts asking me to click on 'storefront' squares, so I click and I click and I click, because is a square that just contains a tiny fraction of a storefront or not a storefront, they give no instruction as to what exactly constitutes a storefront so the user has to click the living daylights out of the thing just to log in and check email :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Today's gripe

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 am

The Elf wrote:I used to think it was annoying when MIDI sockets were mounted 'upside down', but the plethora of USB connectors is utter lunacy - I suspect accountants at work...

As an accountant, I can assure you, the least expensive option was forced down the throat of the production manager immediately after he stopped gagging on the crap forced down his throat by the products division.
User avatar
Watchmaker
Regular
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Today's gripe - furthermore

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:32 pm

OneWorld wrote:
ef37a wrote:At one time our main music computer was sitting under a desk and the rear was very inacessable.

I bought a rake of 500mm USB 2.0 extension cables from 'Zon and used sticky pads that take cable ties to bring the ports out front along the top of the case.

A similar problem aflicted my 2496 soundcard and the RCAs and MIDI and S/PDIF connectors were brought up to a breakout box on the wall. Audio was 1/4" TRS and DIN for MIDI, RCA for digital.

A few hours bashing metal and soldering can save you a lifetime of groping amongst the dust and spiders.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds

Though I got mine from the saddly missed Maplins.

Dave.


And furthermore what gets on my box is those capture things where is says "click on the boxes where there are traffic lights etc" But the pic itself might include the lights themselves, then the stantion, then the pole that supports the stantion - so just like now where I have logged into another site, the capture thing starts asking me to click on 'storefront' squares, so I click and I click and I click, because is a square that just contains a tiny fraction of a storefront or not a storefront, they give no instruction as to what exactly constitutes a storefront so the user has to click the living daylights out of the thing just to log in and check email :-(

Yes!! If I am just looking for a manual say, I just don't bother. Then, It could be me but I find a lot of those picture very dark? Cannot work out what is and is not a Zebra crossing.

What was wrong with "We get milk from a ***?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob Bickerton, Lemec, Wonks