You are here

Roland Fantom X8 through Audio Interface on PC

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Roland Fantom X8 through Audio Interface on PC

Postby Bucky Lastard » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Ive been playing musical instruments for 25+ years and in the past few years Ive came to a medical realization after a nasty degenertive back injury many years ago that I wont be able bodied: So I have began my own little musical journey at home to stay sane: Long story short - I am wanting to know how to set up the following to get the best sound from the Roland to windows 10 PC for my own hobby: So I recently bought and or already had:

Rokit 5 G3 studio Monitors
Fantom X8 [In pristeen condition still]
I have a behringer UMC204HD

[Semi acoustics - Classical and Electric Guitars and Fender Amps etc and all XLR Mics and leads - jacks and RGA cables etc]

Whats the best or easy set up to simply record one track at a time so I can layer it and also have the Rokit 5s connected to my PC as well as the Roland Fx8 as I play it: Im not new to PC but relatively new to the setup: I dont want to use the wrong leads etc and have the monitors break:

Which leads go from where to what etcetera: Its a bit confusing: XLR to XLR or Jack to Jack? Im worried incase I break something: Do I need any other hardware? I have all the software setup etc: Thanks for reading:
Bucky Lastard
New here

Re: Roland Fantom X8 through Audio Interface on PC

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Bucky Lastard wrote:So I recently bought and or already had:

Rokit 5 G3 studio Monitors
Fantom X8 [In pristeen condition still]
I have a behringer UMC204HD

Whats the best or easy set up to simply record one track at a time so I can layer it and also have the Rokit 5s connected to my PC as well as the Roland Fx8 as I play it

Plug the Rokit speakers into the Main Out sockets of the interface using balanced TRS-TRS or TRS-XLRm cables.

Plug the main mix-A outputs of the Fantom into the front input sockets of the interface using more balanced TRS-TRS cables, ideally, or ordinary TS-TS instrument cables. Either will work, but balanced would be better if possible.

And select either line or instrument input mode on the interface to give the most appropriate level (instrument will be more sensitive -- louder -- than line)

The direct monitoring knob on the interface will let you hear the signal from the keyboard without the computer if necessary, or the signal from the computer, or both.

You can also plug Midi in/out of the keyboard to the interface to record/play midi control data to/from the computer.

Im worried incase I break something

Keep all the volumes right down when plugging and then advance with caution until you've got it all working, but you're not likely to break anything...

Do I need any other hardware?

No, you have all you need for a basic working system.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 am

... you have all you need for a basic working system.
H

Everything Hugh said, but I'll add one thing extra which is that if you are creating instrumental synth-based music then you have everything you need in the Fantom and if you use it right it's far more than basic. Given the computer's ability to record as many tracks as you are ever likely to need, you are no longer restricted by the on-board capabilities of the Roland and as such for synth-based music you're as well off as anybody could hope to be in terms of timbres and layers.

The Fantom is a sterling machine but you may consider extending your setup to include a desktop module from another manufacturer to add that certain something which comes from having gear from more than one vendor to your sonic arsenal. There are a number of cheap, high quality devices such as the Behringer Model D, Korg Volca, Arturia Microbrute etc. which provide a huge 'bang for the buck' and which sit very well in a mix with the workstation you already have.

If you do get more sound sources, or if you wish to permanently plug in mic feeds or line outputs from guitars you may want to look at a mixer to avoid repeatedly having to change connections to your interface, but raise another thread if you get to that point - we like a good mixer discussion here ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Bucky Lastard » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:44 am

Thanks a lot for your valid input guys: I actually have a Behringer Mixer which is OLD but literally still brand new: Its the Behringer UB 1832 FX PRO [I know dont shout at me] It still works although its not digital and its ... yeah ... its about time I called myself on this old tech and realize what its not: I have a load of other gear here: Digital effects machines and Digital Effects pedals; but we`ll leave that for when I am sorted:

Im seriously considering selling the FX8 workstation as they are still well sought after: I do need a more `future proof` connectable device as long as the replacement is a decent full size 88 key as I thoroughly enjoy serious Piano as a side `hobby`[Im obsessed with it really even though it kills my back I love it]

I actually had the cables in earlier and could hear a sort of static click through or around the Rokits which turned out to be a 6 metre unbalanced cable [Generic Guitar Lead] which was picking up some static noise and obviously causing polarity problems on the feed:

It was similar sound to when studio monitors clip: It was a little bit unnerving TBH: After scary examination - thanks to you guys as well I now I know to use the XLR-TRS from speaker to Audio Interface: Im in the process of setting this up as we speak: Glad I actually joined here TBH: My faith in forum discussion has been fully restored: Much Appreciated EVERYONE: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bucky Lastard
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:42 am

Welcome to the forum :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Bucky Lastard » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
... you have all you need for a basic working system.
H

Everything Hugh said, but I'll add one thing extra which is that if you are creating instrumental synth-based music then you have everything you need in the Fantom and if you use it right it's far more than basic. Given the computer's ability to record as many tracks as you are ever likely to need, you are no longer restricted by the on-board capabilities of the Roland and as such for synth-based music you're as well off as anybody could hope to be in terms of timbres and layers.

The Fantom is a sterling machine but you may consider extending your setup to include a desktop module from another manufacturer to add that certain something which comes from having gear from more than one vendor to your sonic arsenal. There are a number of cheap, high quality devices such as the Behringer Model D, Korg Volca, Arturia Microbrute etc. which provide a huge 'bang for the buck' and which sit very well in a mix with the workstation you already have.

If you do get more sound sources, or if you wish to permanently plug in mic feeds or line outputs from guitars you may want to look at a mixer to avoid repeatedly having to change connections to your interface, but raise another thread if you get to that point - we like a good mixer discussion here ;)

Basically - I am now recording sound to PC directly through the methods described above: Just sorting the volumes out now: But this is exactly what Ive been looking for for years and didnt do it: Im now an addict to this: BTW - nice setup the @Eddy Deegan on your soundcloud: I see youre like myself - into Piano and not a recitalist:
Im more of a soloist on anything TBH: Checking out Aether Reverb and Replika delay :-) Damn I am like a wee child here all excited: Brilliant: Thanks again everyone! :wave: :clap: :wave: :bouncy: :bouncy:
Bucky Lastard
New here

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:11 am

I was going to say it is always a shame when folks buy gear, especially interfaces, THEN ask advice! This is because the 204 has only two mic/line/instrument inputs and so, having connected the Roland as folks describe you are now stuck for connecting a mic for vocals or acoustic guitar or indeed an electric guitar via the high impedance input. But, the "emergence" of the mixer changes that a bit.

The synth and mics can all be connected to the UB1832 and the output of that used to drive the line inputs of the Behringer. Connect the monitors to the jack outs as told (for now).
In fact do that first and forget about all other matters until you can get the interface to play clean music through the monitors from a CD, radio, YT, whatever. It is vital that you get this part working properly and is where many beginners tie themselves in knots, concetrating as they do on the RECORDING side.

Once you have playback try recording directly from kbd to AI and once that is going right, think about hooking in the mixer. At some stage you can route the AI's line out back to the mixer and have that drive the monitors. One advantage of that is you can probably configure things such that you don't need the computer to just hear keyboards.

Oh! And don't forget to investigate MIDI. Have fun!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Bucky Lastard » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm

ef37a wrote:I was going to say it is always a shame when folks buy gear, especially interfaces, THEN ask advice! This is because the 204 has only two mic/line/instrument inputs and so, having connected the Roland as folks describe you are now stuck for connecting a mic for vocals or acoustic guitar or indeed an electric guitar via the high impedance input. But, the "emergence" of the mixer changes that a bit.

The synth and mics can all be connected to the UB1832 and the output of that used to drive the line inputs of the Behringer. Connect the monitors to the jack outs as told (for now).
In fact do that first and forget about all other matters until you can get the interface to play clean music through the monitors from a CD, radio, YT, whatever. It is vital that you get this part working properly and is where many beginners tie themselves in knots, concetrating as they do on the RECORDING side.

Once you have playback try recording directly from kbd to AI and once that is going right, think about hooking in the mixer. At some stage you can route the AI's line out back to the mixer and have that drive the monitors. One advantage of that is you can probably configure things such that you don't need the computer to just hear keyboards.

Oh! And don't forget to investigate MIDI. Have fun!

Dave.

Dave: I have all sorts of gear here that I acquired through the past few years and beyond as though in preparation for this: I had the mixer up and running before the AI but had to pull it because of sound issues on Win10 which I now know the cause of: I partitioned one of my Hard Drives and am about to install Win7x64 for reliability and perhaps Vistax64 as well:

As for MIDI; I am very familiar with it and began using it as far back as 1.44 floppy disks using a software called *Sequencer One* on the Commodore Amiga500 and 1200 which was well ahead of its time for free midi software:

The 2 in lines of the AI arent a problem for me as I am basically playing and recording one track at a time into AI to the PC then editing and layering each time with another instrument:

For example I have a solid state Fender Mustang V2 with USB and can use this as an AI for playing Guitar [other instruments] straight into USB to PC: Folks should actually get a Fender V2 and use it for this as its basically a plug and play setup with physical digital effects in the Amp: The FUSE software from fender is quite good also: Many Thanks again for the posts: Will post back ASAP: Cheers :clap: :thumbup: :bouncy: :wave:
Bucky Lastard
New here

Postby Bucky Lastard » Sun May 05, 2019 11:03 am

Just a quick followup post to say many many thanks for the valuable assistance received herein: Ive now got this small system running at optimum performance: Those Rokit 5 G3s are quality: I can hear bass lines; cymbals; small minute sounds and lead in tracks in any piece of music that I had not been able to hear before: I am now looking to purchase a new workstation so as to future proof my set up: A freind has been telling me about these `RED` coloured workstations that are made by or branded NORG: Is anyone able to elaborate on them? Once again - Thanks a lot: - Jake
Bucky Lastard
New here

Postby Dave B » Sun May 05, 2019 1:04 pm

A couple of things :

1. I think you are talking about "Nord" series of keyboards
2. They aren't workstations. They are stage instruments, so pianos, electric pianos, organ, a bit of synth - various combinations of these depending on the product line. They are quite simple to use (apparently - a couple of us find them confusing as hell, but once you get your head around them they are supposed to be a doddle) and do what they say on the tin. Coupled with the fact that they sound good, everyone and their dog seem to have Nord keyboards for live work at the moment.

If you are really looking for a workstation, then I'd say that the Korg Kronos is just about the most flexible and robust unit out there. It would take years to exhaust it's capabilities - it's a bit of a monster, but isn't too bad to use.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Are you thinking about Nord? Their products are usually red.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 05, 2019 8:36 pm

A google search for 'red keyboard' and/or 'Norg keyboard' would instantly reveal the Nord website... And far quicker than logging into the SOS forum and posting the question...so this is windup surely?
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Bucky Lastard » Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:A google search for 'red keyboard' and/or 'Norg keyboard' would instantly reveal the Nord website... And far quicker than logging into the SOS forum and posting the question...so this is windup surely?

NO: I am conversing with others in a sound forum: Its not merely about the red keyboard: Its a follow up post from myself as well:

I prefer to converse instead of being lead down an advertisement market to a product all bright and shiny just waiting to be picked up by me: Theres no time taken to login and no hassle involved nor harm in asking other humans about the NORD who have have some experience: [My mistake as I was thinking about the previous Korg I was looking over at the time] Once again - Thanks
Bucky Lastard
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Fair enough -- we've had a recent infestation of trolling so my sensitivity is high at the moment. No offence intended.

H
Hugh Robjohns