You are here

Wireless Lavelier Microphone to XLR Adapter Problem - Audio Garbled

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Wireless Lavelier Microphone to XLR Adapter Problem - Audio Garbled

Postby USMCWarrior » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm

I recently purchased a "Rode VXLR 3.5mm to XLR Adapter" for connecting my "Wireless Lavalier Microphone, Jelly Comb 2.4G Wireless Lapel Collar Clip-on Mic" with my "JVC GY-HM170ua" video camcorder's XLR ports...The audio was horrible It was garbled and in some cases did not pick up any audio. I've been told that because the phantom power 48v of the XLR camera port is too much, it needs to be reduced to a 3.5-5v for the wireless microphone to work properly. I was getting a garbled audio when trying to use it...or no audio at all...would this product, "Rode VXLR+ 3.5mm to XLR Adapter with Power Convertor" to be able to effectively use my wireless microphone with the XLR port?
Again, this was the product I was trying to use, "Wireless Lavalier Microphone, Jelly Comb 2.4G Wireless Lapel Collar Clip-on Microphone" and it worked just fine with a Canon camcorder and my Canon t5i DSLR cameras just not the JVC 4K camcorder. I even tried using the Aux port for the wireless microphone but it also sounded garbled.

Or do you recommend just purchasing a wired XLR Lavalier microphone?
USMCWarrior

Re: Wireless Lavelier Microphone to XLR Adapter Problem - Audio Garbled

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:29 am

The Rode VXLR needs 48v phantom power from the XLR input of the device (camera in your case) to operate, however it is designed to provide “plug-in power” of 5 volts to its jack input to directly drive lapel mics.

With the microphone system you are using, which is a complete microphone/transmitter and receiver, your receiver would appear to be self-powered and probably doesn’t want to see a voltage from the jack input of the Rode VXLR.

What you probably need is a straight cable or adaptor to convert from the jack output of the receiver to the XLR input of the camera (used with the camera’s phantom power switched off).

I guess the wiring of a cable/adaptor will depend on the configuration of the trs mini-jack on the receiver and others here may be able to advise on that.

In the meantime I’d avoid plugging the receiver into the Rode unit.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz