You are here

Reverb not giving sound "sometimes"?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Reverb not giving sound "sometimes"?

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:26 pm

So guys, I have an old Pioneer SR303 Reverberation Amplifier:

https://reverb.com/item/9678624-pioneer ... -condition

i have had this issue a few times in the past where I would turn the knobs but would not hear any effect but the tunnel activates just as when there is sound. Thing is, this happens only sometimes and I can;t figure out why.

i had bought another unit last time this happened thinking it had stopped working but after getting the replacement it started working again all on it's own so now I have two of them.

The way I have it configured is I run my PC's Headphone OUT into it then OUT from that into the INPUT on my Digitech 1900 Delay unit then OUT from that into the LINE-IN on my DJ mixer.

i am thinking of getting a couple splitters and attaching both reverbs via the same connections so whenever one doesn;t work then i can simply use the other, do you guys think this would be a good idea or can offer some other option please?
mikehende
Regular

Re: Reverb not giving sound "sometimes"?

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:55 pm

It could well be a dry joint or a poor connection inside the unit. If it is the unit that I'm thinking of then it will be 40 years old or more and these sorts of issues are to be expected with something of that age. It needs someone who knows what they are doing to take a good look at the unit and resolder/clean any dodgy looking connections.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:57 pm

So best I hook up the replacement then.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Woo - you're lucky to have two Mike :o

Yep, hook up the other one, and then perhaps someone can have a scan over the soldered joints on your intermittent unit and re-flow any dodgy-looking ones.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby mikehende » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Ahh, they go for cheap on ebay, many around so much cheaper to buy a good working one than repair.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Thu May 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Well, this is strange, nothing wrong with the unit, seems issue was running it through the Digitech 1900 is not giving sound that way. If I connect the reverb directly to the mixer works fine. Any idea why this is happening please?

Or since the Reverb has Tape Monitor IN and OUT, guess I can try that when I get the chance? Or maybe flip it, run the Digitech into the Reverb?
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes guys, it works connecting the digitech into the reverb's Tape Monitor, problem solved
mikehende
Regular