You are here

Sound Location

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sound Location

Postby Deleted User » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:02 am

How to figure out where a sound is coming from?
Deleted User
Regular

Re: Sound Location

Postby zenguitar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:26 am

You use your ears. It really is that simple.

You are asking questions that are meaningless without context. And that means that you are likely to be regarded as a troll. If you are serious, start offering us a context.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am

We do seem to be getting a lot of this sort of stuff recently. I suspect the mods have been so successful at blocking the usual routes for spam and nonsense that the black hats are casting around for alternative vectors.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 am

bushlion890 wrote:How to figure out where a sound is coming from?

Sounds don't exist as such, they're only vibrations - if they concern you live in a vacuum.

Postby Kwackman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 am

I vote troll.
He/she/it won't respond to comments on the other threads he/she/it created.

e.g.
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 69#p600269
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:We do seem to be getting a lot of this sort of stuff recently. I suspect the mods have been so successful at blocking the usual routes for spam and nonsense that the black hats are casting around for alternative vectors.

CC
I had notice that as well CC. Possibly a consequence of the fairly recent addition that welcomes all comers? I don't want to harp but maybe a "newb" section would have been better? At least you would have confined most of the loonies and trolls in there?

Perhaps an ammendment to the welcome? "Posts should be specific and give reasons for the enquiry" Or words to that effect. Maybe mods etc are just TOO polite? Let the onus of validity rest with the new poster?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 am

Some of you know that I spent a significant amount of time seeking to help 'music-master' aka 'elvis is not dead' - both on-forum and via several PMs.

I don't think Dave's idea would have 'caught' him. He was just the right side of credible and went to some lengths to spin his tale. He actually did buy that Realistic Mixer - I've seen the EBay txn - and also knew enough to keep feeding us info to keep the merry dance active. And unlike the other place there is a genuine desire to help people here. Whereas over there trollers are told to 'go way' ;) fairly smartly, here many people do battle-on and seek to be as helpful as possible.

He has a history of such trolling - not always on sound-related stuff. He wasted everybody's time for a while on a classical music forum. He was called-out comparatively quickly there as he over-egged his pudding.

There is a fine line and it's very difficult for the Mods to discern the difference between the genuinely bewildered and the mischief-makers. The Mods have my sympathy. Andy, in particular, spends a huge amount of time trying to winkle-out the spammers and time-wasters.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am

Mike Stranks wrote: The Mods have my sympathy.
+ 1 :thumbup:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:25 am

Hmmm... started three different threads, all on the same core topic but without any further information or any replies to other members' responses. Let's be generous and give one final chance for something more constructive...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jimjazzdad » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:05 pm

I think most of the regulars here are far too nice and patient ;)
There is another thread just started, by someone who just joined, about trying to isolate and record a rattling noise in a diesel truck. Included is a lengthy explanation. No less than five of you very nice people took the time to write replies. Really? That OP had my spydy-senses tingling from the start. Here's my two cents (tuppence for some of you): if it isn't about recording gear and techniques for the capture of music, nature, or sound effects...chuck it. Possibly it would make the Mods job easier if there were a "Flag this post" button that we could hit when we spot BS? If a number of the regulars hit this, it would be a simple matter to chuck out these trolls and their sock puppets.
jimjazzdad
Poster
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm

jimjazzdad wrote:I think most of the regulars here are far too nice and patient ;)

... and that's what makes this such a nice, friendly and helpful place, in contrast to some of the alternative forums. :D Long may it remain that way.

There is another thread just started, by someone who just joined, about trying to isolate and record a rattling noise in a diesel truck.

Yes... not core SOS subject material, obviously, but the SOS site scores so highly in the search engines that anyone seeking answers to pretty much any sound-related question generally gets directed here... And there's such a wide range of experience, and such friendly goodwill, within the regulars here that most questions can and are answered in good faith. That has always been the ethos of SOS, and I'd be loathe to lose it for the sake of the occasional misplaced posting.

Possibly it would make the Mods job easier if there were a "Flag this post" button that we could hit when we spot BS?

There already is. At the top of each and every post is a button with an exclamation mark in a circle. Click on that to report a suspect message to the mod team.

Also, it's worth being aware that newly registered members have their first three posts manually authorised by a member of the mod team before they appear for general viewing.

So, in the case of the truck rattle poster, it was a conscious decision to afford that chap the benefit of the doubt -- which is our general policy.

Ordinary forum members don't get to see the numerous very obviously evil and malicious spam posters that we catch and remove through the private auditing system every day...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 pm

this is what happens when posting before fully awake - poorly thought out response even for me who is an expert at inserting foot into mouth. And no delete post button!
Perhaps save as draft won’t post this.

:oops:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Hugh is right, SOS forum is far too useful and valuable to be limited, especially by evil doers!

There is always the Lounge to put/shunt off the wall questions to. My query today about lip sync has very little to do with "audio recording" but I was just nosey!

AND of course got swift and expert answers!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
jimjazzdad wrote:I think most of the regulars here are far too nice and patient ;)

... and that's what makes this such a nice, friendly and helpful place, in contrast to some of the alternative forums. :D Long may it remain that way.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would rather spend/waste some time answering a troll's posts than turn away a genuine noob.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would rather spend/waste some time answering a troll's posts than turn away a genuine noob.
And when I think of some of my early* posts / questions this is a fact I remain permanently grateful for. :D
The knowledge and experience that is freely shared on this forum is a phenomenal asset that a lot of our musical lives would be worse for if it wasn't available. :thumbup:

* and not so early! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I would rather spend/waste some time answering a troll's posts than turn away a genuine noob.

A really good attitude. :thumbup:

This is one of the only forums I can think of where newcomers/beginners aren't immediately shot down and/or made to feel stupid by a worryingly large amount of members. It's a shame that some people use that as a way to waste the time of genuinely helpful people, but it seems fairly rare.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 pm

When a poster knows how to use an apostrophe, yet fails to appreciate the difference between 'here' and 'hear', my troll detector begins twitching... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 pm

The Elf wrote:When a poster knows how to use an apostrophe, yet fails to appreciate the difference between 'here' and 'hear', my troll detector begins twitching... ;)

here here!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby TNGator » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Dang...he asked where sound is coming from. I was going to ask where does it go and what time will it be back. I dont think I'll ask now. I might just Google it.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 pm

The Elf wrote:When a poster knows how to use an apostrophe, yet fails to appreciate the difference between 'here' and 'hear', my troll detector begins twitching... ;)

Ooo! I'd better be careful then! I am forever typing vlave instead of valve. Many people have trouble with "quite" sounds!

Been worse in the last few years and I suppose going up in type size* would help but I have to do enough bloody scrolling as it is!

*Recently found out we should not call them "fonts".

Dvae.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next