You are here

Sound Location

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sound Location

Postby awjoe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 pm

blinddrew wrote:And when I think of some of my early* posts / questions this is a fact I remain permanently grateful for. :D
The knowledge and experience that is freely shared on this forum is a phenomenal asset that a lot of our musical lives would be worse for if it wasn't available. :thumbup:

* and not so early! ;)

Well, exactly. One of the features of this site is the huge gap between the newcomers and the old hands here in terms of skill and experience. This place makes me feel stupid and grateful in equal parts. But overall, useful and fun.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 pm

And the 'old hands' are equally as willing to give the benefit of their expert knowledge as the 'grass roots' contributors.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:52 pm

TNGator wrote: I was going to ask where does it go and what time will it be back.

There is a theory I heard in the 1970s that sound does not disappear but reverberates round and round for ever. This means that with the right equipment we could hear conversations from years ago.

Postby Dan LB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:25 am

ef37a wrote:
Dvae.

LOL :mrgreen:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 am

Still Vibrations wrote:This means that with the right equipment we could hear conversations from years ago.

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Listening_Monks

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby MOF » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:22 pm

There is a theory I heard in the 1970s that sound does not disappear but reverberates round and round for ever. This means that with the right equipment we could hear conversations from years ago.

The sound waves would be infinitesimally small since they lose their energy according to the “inverse square law” (every doubling in distance from source to listening point there’s a quarter of the energy there).
That’s why you need very little power for headphones, more for studio monitors and kilowatts for PA systems, that are progressively further away from the listener(s).
I think the fact that you can shout in a big reverberant space and only hear the reverb for a matter of seconds suggests that we’ll never hear old sound coming around again.
MOF
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:11 pm

I understand that sound energy does not actually fall of by the square law but by some power? In any case the size of the source relative to frequency will modify the radiation pattern?

No matter, fall off it does and it is water vapour that absorbs the sound energy and converts it to heat, a process that is greater at higher frequencies and is why we rarely hear the crack of a lightning strike unless it is brown pants close!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:25 pm

ef37a wrote:I understand that sound energy does not actually fall of by the square law but by some power?

The square law is 'by some power' -- the power of 2, in fact. :-)

However, what I think you're probably getting at is that the square law strictly only applies when the radiation pattern is spherical, which requires the sound generating source to be a point source -- something which is approximated fairly closely for small sound generators of low frequencies where the wavelength is large compared to the dimensions of the source.

For everything else, the decrease in energy with distance isn't quite 6dB per doubling of distance but something a little less -- in my practical experience I'd suggest a workable rule of thumb is about 4dB per doubling of distance.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:I understand that sound energy does not actually fall of by the square law but by some power?

The square law is 'by some power' -- the power of 2, in fact. :-)

However, what I think you're probably getting at is that the square law strictly only applies when the radiation pattern is spherical, which requires the sound generating source to be a point source -- something which is approximated fairly closely for small sound generators of low frequencies where the wavelength is large compared to the dimensions of the source.

For everything else, the decrease in energy with distance isn't quite 6dB per doubling of distance but something a little less -- in my practical experience I'd suggest a workable rule of thumb is about 4dB per doubling of distance.

Missed out "other".

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:12 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Still Vibrations wrote:This means that with the right equipment we could hear conversations from years ago.

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Listening_Monks

CC

"they are devoted to The Rite Of Good Vibration"

That's what I'd be too if I was one of them. I like it when Pratchett makes stuff believable suddenly. 'This means that with the right equipment, we could hear conversations from years ago' - I mean, that right there is a description of folk music, right?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:17 am

MOF wrote:

I think the fact that you can shout in a big reverberant space and only hear the reverb for a matter of seconds suggests that we’ll never hear old sound coming around again.

I count it a blessing, myself. Things are noisy enough already.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:25 am

Think about how difficult it would be to isolate ground loops if the noise from the old ones kept coming back around. :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous