You are here

How do you decide when to sell gear?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How do you decide when to sell gear?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:23 pm

So like most of us I have gear collecting dust. A few mics, a few low end mic pres, a rack mount synth, other bits I’ve forgotten about. It’s not high value stuff but it’s gear and somebody should be using it. When do you decide to sell yours?
but
In almost every forum somebody sometimes says “I wish I hung onto that"
I said that a few months ago about a piece of gear.

I’m torn.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: How do you decide when to sell gear?

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Intuition and finance and space. I used to have way more gear than room to set it up, and had an embarrassment of synth riches in a closet that never got used for years. Had a clear out, didn't regret it. Some stuff I've had for nearly 30 years and will never sell, other things I've had for almost as long but ended up parting with. Again, no regrets. I recently sold a Juno 60 I'd had for 25 years, but replaced it with something more flexible so it's fine. Sometimes I buy stuff, try it, don't gel with it, and sell it on. I went through a period of buying pedals, and I think when I hit 8 flangers I decided that was enough.

I don't implement a 1-in, 1-out policy exactly, but I'm trying to hone the setup to a point where I've got everything I want covered with minimal fuss, and ditch superfluities. If something takes me too long to get good results from, I don't use it. Same if I just don't like the sound. Or if I like the sound but hate the interface of a synth, I'll just get rid. Life's short. Keep what you enjoy using, pass on the rest and put the money to better use. :thumbup:

From memory, I think all I've ended up re-buying later is a couple of old pedals.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Still Vibrations » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 pm

I used to sell equipment that was only worth a few pounds when there was a shop in Central London but now it's gone. I have an audio interface that doesn't work with the current OSs on Mac or PC, but on Ebay it only sells for £20, so is not worth the effort.

I have an MPC1000 in perfect condition except the shift button only works one out of every three or four presses so is not really sellable. The same with the R8 drum machine, some of the pads are unreliable.

Our London borough says it is committed to recycling but when you call to take something down the person who answers the telephone (who sounds about 12 years old) says they don't have space. When I tell them they said that last month the reply is "oh yes" followed by giggling.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:I have an MPC1000 in perfect condition except the shift button only works one out of every three or four presses so is not really sellable. The same with the R8 drum machine, some of the pads are unreliable.

Repairable, though.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Folderol » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Simple. Do I need the money and/or space
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Luke W » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 pm

I've recently started selling some old gear, for me it's simply about getting the space back and knowing that someone will get some use from kit that I'm never going to use. It's surprising how much money adds up even from just shifting on a few small bits here and there, money that I'm no doubt going to spend on more gear, but that's not the point :D
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:I have an MPC1000 in perfect condition except the shift button only works one out of every three or four presses so is not really sellable. The same with the R8 drum machine, some of the pads are unreliable.

Have you tried Caig Deoxit? Nothing to lose, after all.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:12 pm

I tend to sell things I don’t use and that take up space. I always try and when it doesn’t sell (even at a very low price) I tend to give it to an association for kids here in town. Then somebody makes good use of it and I have more space...

:thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Sell gear? I don’t understand the question!!! :D

I did replace a DX7 with a TX802 and then Native Instruments FM7/8.
I sold one of my two Oberheim M1000s since I could later record the one synth as audio.
I should have sold old Mac’s but took too long to convert old versions of Logic songs to version 7 that the computers weren’t worth anything.
I sold mixing desks to go from analogue to digital then to all in the computer.
I never sold any mic’ or tape machine though. I keep all synths and sample players to bounce in as audio when revisiting old songs. Who knows I might eventually sell them, the same for the tape machines when I get around to digitising all the tapes (some need baking).
MOF
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:39 pm

I have a rule whereby I ask; Have I used it in the last 12 months? Will I use it in the next 12 months? If the answer is no, then it gets sold.

Exceptions being if something is specifically being replaced by something else - it goes immediately, or if something is of sentimental value, e.g. instruments, they stay.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Guido3 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:49 pm

I'll buy something to try it and if I don't like it I sell it. I try to buy everything 2nd hand so I don't lose much (if anything) when I sell it on if I don't gell with it. Gone are the days where I used to have room full of equipment.

The only piece of equipment I want but don't need is a Wurly 200A. One day, one will be mine!!!!
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Hmm. Looking around, I think the only thing that I have but don't use on a regular (if not frequent) basis is an sE2200 microphone. Doubt I'd get much for that second hand (it's one of the first generation ones) and it's not like it's taking up a lot of space.

Actually, correction, my '57 Hofner hardly gets touched these days but again it has practically no worth second hand and is just sitting innocently in a rack...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Egan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Well, you blokes are all amazingly well disciplined. My gear is mostly, but not exclusively, guitar related and when breathing gets difficult in what I, laughably, call my studio, I take something down to my local guitar store to sell for me. Then I try very hard not to buy two things to replace it, while suffering extremes of anguish at the loss. All in all It's a very distressing process.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm pretty chronic. I was taking a hard look today at something that I've never used and probably never will, before I made up my mind. No, it stays.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Egan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:36 pm

BJG145 wrote:I'm pretty chronic. I was taking a hard look today at something that I've never used and probably never will, before I made up my mind. No, it stays.

You know it's the sensible option.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:57 pm

I seem to go through phases, selling redundant stuff then buying new stuff. The process sometimes has a purpose (like when I sold 5 guitars, a banjo and my Boogie Mk4 to raise money to buy two new guitars), sometimes it is de-cluttering and sometimes it's a rare attack of common sense. Stuff I've really regretted selling (there's not much)? :-

MusicMan RP65 Combo
Suzuki GS1000

I think that's it.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Egan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I seem to go through phases, selling redundant stuff then buying new stuff. The process sometimes has a purpose (like when I sold 5 guitars, a banjo and my Boogie Mk4 to raise money to buy two new guitars), sometimes it is de-cluttering and sometimes it's a rare attack of common sense. Stuff I've really regretted selling (there's not much)? :-

MusicMan RP65 Combo
Suzuki GS1000

I think that's it.......

I once swapped seven guitars for a 1970 ES345 and a 1978 hardtail Strat. To be fair, I never regretted it, although I still miss a couple of the guitars.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:21 pm

I still own all the really precious guitars I've bought over the years, 1975 LP Custom, three Brian Eastwood Customs (and a Bass) built for me. My more recently acquired Rob Aylward Selmer style and the Emerald X7 (three years ago and the result of the aforementioned selling spree) won't be going anywhere anytime soon and my main electric (a P90 Strat based on a Squire neck bought from and built with Brian's help) are probably here to stay. I only lack a decent high end Dreadnaught (Collings D2H if I'm lucky) and, maybe a Tele......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Still Vibrations » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:00 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:

Have you tried Caig Deoxit? Nothing to lose, after all.

CC

Thanks for that, unfortunately I have not yet managed to get to the contacts. The contacts seem to be embedded under a cover I can't remove. In fact it's the basic problem with a lot of my equipment, I have an Ensoniq synth that needs a new battery - but it is impossible to get at - it's under the keyboard. As for my Sony processor, replacing the battery requires a virtuoso in soldering.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Mixedup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 am

Typically, I'll wait until about 6-12 months before something becomes really trendy and desirable and sell it for peanuts :beamup:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Next