You are here

How do you decide when to sell gear?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: How do you decide when to sell gear?

Postby OneWorld » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:11 am

When I get fed up of brushing the dust off it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:32 am

I go through fits. Anything I can't get less than $750isn't worth the hassle to sell. I used to sell cheaper stuff on Reverb but the place is now filled the usual asshats. I guess most of my stuff will end up being sold off in an estate sale.
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 pm

I was considering Reverb. By asshat does that mean tire kickers who waste your time and really lowball you? Or just the regular muso types? I can live with eccentric muso types.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:23 pm

I've been selling some bits on Reverb recently (in the UK) and my experience has been good so far.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:In fact it's the basic problem with a lot of my equipment

Ach spit! Shoulder-to-shoulder on this one. Too much modern kit is not made for owners to repair. I consider it immoral, TBH.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:13 pm

If I ever get to the point I've actually sold any gear then I'll know how I decided to get there but at the moment it's rather a mystery to me ;-)

The vast majority of gear I've owned but no longer have in my possession was either traded for some other piece of gear or donated to people who would get more use out of it than I was.

The last piece of equipment I truly sold was a Roland D10 back in the 90s, which went because I had bills to pay and no other means of paying them at the time.

After a recent big studio re-organisation I had a bit of a 'sell' pile but it's dwindled through the above ways, though I think I'll end up selling one thing after all.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Zukan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:48 am

My wife makes these decisions for me.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am

I think my reply here should be looked at differently if you're a studio based musician or a live performer. If you're in the studio, then large amounts of hardware could be considered unnecessary in these days of computers, hardware becomes a luxury.
Playing live is different, there is still a preference for hardware,, it's less fiddly, and easier to deal with than a computer, and possibly more reliable. Hardware is also visually more interesting on a stage, I hear this all the time, that computers look boring.
Decisions about buying or selling for me are based around these issues, now I try and sell nothing, as there have been way too many regrets in the past, and I only buy now if it's absolutely necassary and it's holding me back in some way. But saying this is all very well, there are occasions when I still loose the plot and make a spur of the moment decision, I bought a couple of synths recently, I didn't need them, but they are nice to have.
I sold my modular system, that was easy, it wasn't getting used, and there was too much money sitting there to make it worthwhile keeping. A car repair bill also put that into very sharp perspective and helped my decision! I think finances are always a final influence in why we sell things, if money really was no object we'd all still have shed loads of stuff in storage.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Bucky Lastard » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

I hate to say it but if you look on Gumtree there are LOTS of people wanting to buy any types of musical instruments et al:

Have a look and see: Its always `busy` on there:
Bucky Lastard
New here

Previous