You are here

Aux In Routing, when gain turned down, there is still sound.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Aux In Routing, when gain turned down, there is still sound.

Postby carmenmallard » Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Is there a way to see all the inputs that are on an Aux channel. So far I can only find that Aux 1 is in Aux 1 on the home/config screen. However, whenever we turn down all the gain and all the fader on that channel, there is still sound going through. It is being routed out to Output 7 and 9 to send to our live stream and lobby.

This has become a problem because I want to broadcast in stereo, and both Aux 1 and 2 and panned left and right and sending out left and right to output 7 and 8, and I've got two XLRs connected to our switcher, but when I get to the Blackmagic video switcher it's mono.

I think it's because there is some mono channel going to Aux in 1 and 2, but I can't find the additional channel. I've spent hours going through this board and it's so frustrating. It should be stereo, Every indication is that it's in stereo, but it's not.
carmenmallard

Re: Aux In Routing, when gain turned down, there is still sound.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 pm

carmenmallard wrote:Is there a way to see all the inputs that are on an Aux channel.

I've no idea because I've no idea what console you're using! But it sounds like you're using a digital console and most do provide some means or other of viewing all channels contributing to the different mix buses (including the auxes) and the send levels. The user manual would be a good reference point...

...whenever we turn down all the gain and all the fader on that channel, there is still sound going through.

That's probably because the aux send is set pre-fade and you have sound running on channels which are still contributing to that aux send bus.

This has become a problem because I want to broadcast in stereo, and both Aux 1 and 2 and panned left and right and sending out left and right to output 7 and 8, and I've got two XLRs connected to our switcher, but when I get to the Blackmagic video switcher it's mono.

Again, without knowing which console and your channel sources it's impossible to say what's going on. However, if you've routed a stereo source into a stereo channel, many desks derive a mono sum of that channel to feed the (mono) aux sends. So if that's the case you'll either have to use a dedicated stereo aux send (if there is one) or use two linked mono channels, feeding aux1 for the left side and aux2 for the right.

I've spent hours going through this board and it's so frustrating. It should be stereo, Every indication is that it's in stereo, but it's not.

:-D I think we've all been there...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound