You are here

iPhone Question with Xenyx1222USB

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

iPhone Question with Xenyx1222USB

Postby jbklyn88 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi everybody!

First time posting on this forum, so I apologize if this was already answered (I did a basic search and couldn't find anything) and I'm semi-new at the hookups, so I also apologize for my lack in explaining connections and/or equipment.

I am currently using the Xenyx 1222USB for recording a podcast along with a Behringer Microamp HA400 for our headsets. However, one of the co-hosts likes to call in. For that, we have a basic setup using an iPhone 7 connected into one of the Line In channels via a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS cable right to the mixer.

The dilemma is no matter what setup we try, the caller cannot hear any sounds coming out of our laptop and this can be frustrating when we want to use an audio clip. We can hear everything through the Microamp and he can hear us (I'm assuming via the mic on the iPhone). I feel like we may have it incorrectly set up or may have the wrong wires.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? How was it set up?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
jbklyn88

Re: iPhone Question with Xenyx1222USB

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 pm

You could try something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headsets-Separ ... ics&sr=1-3
with the mic bit going to a line in channel and the headphone bit connecting to the HA400?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 pm

jbklyn88 wrote:... we have a basic setup using an iPhone 7 connected into one of the Line In channels via a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS cable right to the mixer.

The dilemma is no matter what setup we try, the caller cannot hear any sounds coming out of our laptop...

Mobile phones generally use a 4-pole (TRRS) socket rather than a standard 3-pole (TRS) one, so the break-out lead terminates in two jack plugs. One carries the output from the phone (the remote contributor), and the other is intended to feed the local signal down the phone to the contributor -- normally being fed from an Aux send on the mixer so you can decide what the co tribute hears and at what level (presenter, local guests, inserts from other sources, etc).

If you cable connection is a simple 3.5mm TRS to 6.25mm TRS, you won't be feeding anything into the phone and the contributor won't hear anything passing through the mixer. So a new cable is probably the required solution.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-27394-Microphone-Headphone-Breakout/dp/B00006LHRF
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jbklyn88 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
jbklyn88 wrote:... we have a basic setup using an iPhone 7 connected into one of the Line In channels via a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS cable right to the mixer.

The dilemma is no matter what setup we try, the caller cannot hear any sounds coming out of our laptop...

Mobile phones generally use a 4-pole (TRRS) socket rather than a standard 3-pole (TRS) one, so the break-out lead terminates in two jack plugs. One carries the output from the phone (the remote contributor), and the other is intended to feed the local signal down the phone to the contributor -- normally being fed from an Aux send on the mixer so you can decide what the co tribute hears and at what level (presenter, local guests, inserts from other sources, etc).

If you cable connection is a simple 3.5mm TRS to 6.25mm TRS, you won't be feeding anything into the phone and the contributor won't hear anything passing through the mixer. So a new cable is probably the required solution.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-27394-Microphone-Headphone-Breakout/dp/B00006LHRF

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! So now my question is and it's probably dumb, would the male end on the TRRS wire connect to the phone or to the mixer? What would the set up be on the mixer/microamp?
jbklyn88

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 pm

To the phone, the two female connecters are the stereo output from the phone (the headphone socket) and the mono input (usually used for the mic on the buds that come with most phones).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jbklyn88 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:To the phone, the two female connecters are the stereo output from the phone (the headphone socket) and the mono input (usually used for the mic on the buds that come with most phones).

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but the male goes to the phone, the female connection with the headphone label goes to the microamp and the other one with the mic label would go to an aux line out from the mixer?
jbklyn88

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 pm

The headphone out would go to the mixer too or you won't be able to record the audio from the phone. And yes the 'mic' input needs s suitable level signal, ideally from a desk aux output.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster