You are here

Help Setting up my keyboard controller /Audio Interface /Drum machine/Speakers to my PC

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help Setting up my keyboard controller /Audio Interface /Drum machine/Speakers to my PC

Postby kvalde » Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 am

Hey Guys, I need help setting up and connecting these 5 pieces together. This is my first attempt into digital recording. The following are the equipments that I have.

1- Midi keyboard Controller - Nektar Panorama P6
2- Presonus Studio 18/24 USB audio Interface
3- Alesis SR 18 Drum machine
4- A pair of presonus studio speakers (with 1/4 inch jacks)
5- A window PC desktop with over 8 USB ports

Can you guys help / guide me on how to set up or connect all of them successfully so I can hear some sounds and start recording. I have plenty of jacks and Midi cables. The way it is setup right now, there is no sound coming from the Drum machine, there is no sound coming from the keyboard controller. I want to reconnect everything from scratch the right way so I can hear sounds. The audio interface comes with Studio one music software. I also have pro-tools, which is not yet installed. Any help..? Thank you everyone..
kvalde

Re: Help Setting up my keyboard controller /Audio Interface /Drum machine/Speakers to my PC

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Plug the Presonus interface and Nektar keyboard into the computer's USB ports, plug the output(s) from the Alesis SR18 into the line inputs on the Presonus and the line outputs from the Presonus into the Speakers. Finally connect the midi out on the Alesis to the midi in on the Presonus and the out on the Presonus to the in on the Alesis.That is everything connected up.

The rest is making sure the computer and Studio One (I would stick with Studio One for now and leave Pro Tools until you have some idea how it all works) are recognising the interface and keyboard. Download and install Presonus "Universal Control" and the 1824 User manual and Windows drivers for the Nektar and the manual should get you making noise. Beyond that we'll need more specific info.

HTH

edit :- Start by reading the manual and any 'read me' docs that relate to the Presonus and Nektar, IIRC Windows likes drivers installed before connecting the devices in some instances.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Help Setting up my keyboard controller /Audio Interface /Drum machine/Speakers to my PC

Postby kvalde » Tue May 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Wow...Thanks a lot Sams...I am all connected. I did everything you said included downloading the universal control and got all connected with all the drivers in place. I have not gotten any sounds the keyboard controller and the Alesis SR 18 yet, but I am getting closer. Will read the manuals a bit more to see what I am missing.. So far I can play the EZdrummer and have sounds out to the speakers from the computer, but no sounds yet from the Alesis SR 18 or from the Keyboard controller. Thanks for your time...
kvalde

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 08, 2019 9:13 am

Next thing I would do is get the drum machine playing, can you hear the rhythm when you plug headphones into the drum machine's headphone output? If yes are you seeing a signal on the appropriate UC channel meters? Then assign a DAW input to the same AI input and see if you are getting a signal into the DAW. From there it should be fairly straightforward to record and/or monitor the drum machine through the DAW.

WRT the keyboard, I guess you realise that it doesn't make any sound itself which is why I suggested using the drum machine (which does) first? The keyboard needs to be 'connected' in the box to a virtual instrument of some kind, usually by making it the input device for a channel in the DAW and having the virtual instrument (VSTi) assigned to the same channel.

As I don't use Windows or Studio One I'm guessing a little at this point.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........