You are here

Example gate settings for a noisy pedal?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Example gate settings for a noisy pedal?

Postby garrettendi » Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 am

So I bought a Behringer HM300 as a cheap alternative to a used BOSS HM-2. Should hopefully get me a nice chainsaw buzz sound! It hasn't arrived yet (should do today) but a good searching on the interweb suggests this things gives out a LOT of noise, even in "True Bypass" mode.

I don't really gig at the moment, and so most of my use of this pedal will be into my audio interface and some amp sims, and then on my headphones (my preferred method of practicing as it doesn't disturb the neighbours or the Missus!), so I have access to noise gates.

I'll be using the Dead Duck Channel Strip which has a gate in it:

I know there's no substitute for just playing around with knobs (ooh-er) but what is a good starting point, please? Dumb it down please you guys all know I'm useless in the studio!

:thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Example gate settings for a noisy pedal?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 07, 2019 9:13 am

Start with attack, release and hold settings at minimum (fastest). Raise threshold control until unwanted noise is just -- but reliably -- muted.

Then play some stuff and see how the gate opens and closes. You'll want it to react promptly, but having too fast attack and release settings can make its action very obvious and even 'clicky', so experiment with slowing them down a little to make the gate action less obvious. The Hold function delays the gate's closing after the source has gone quiet, allowing its natural decay to occur before the gate's release curve chases it down.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Example gate settings for a noisy pedal?

Postby garrettendi » Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 am

Hugh you are a star! That's the exact level of dumbing down I needed!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)