You are here

New Studio Space, New Gear...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

New Studio Space, New Gear...

Postby curlybob43 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 am

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first home, and in turn will have my first dedicated studio space/room. I have a decent amount of equipment already, as you can see below;

Steinberg UR824
Ableton Live 9
Focusrite 6i6
Yamaha HS7s
SM57 Mic
Rode NT1a Mic
Orchid DI
Orchid Reamp
Electric Guitars & Bass (Gretsch & Fender)
Vox AC4-C112 Amp and Orange Bass amp
Array of pedals
Synthesizers (Juno 106 & Microkorg)
Roland TR8
Midi Keyboards (Q49 & Launchkey)

So now I am trying to future proof my set up a bit, while I have the cash before the mortgage kicks in and I inventively become skint! I want it to be versatile and cover a lot of ground whilst being simple. I do not own a drum kit but this is something I want to be able to record in my set up, for myself or others. So the current upgrades to my gear i'm thinking;

LDC (Tube); Rode K2 OR Lauten LA320 - Vocals, Guitars and MONO Drum OH duties.
Midi Interface; ?? I cannot use 2 interfaces at once (PC ableton) and the UR824 has no MIDI.
ANOTHER SM57 - just because these are so damn good on drums & guitar.
Ableton Live 10; I have a student ID and its 40% off so I will upgrade my licence.
Bass Amp/Kick Drum mic; need something which will cover both kick drum and bass amp duties.
Acoustic treatment; I will be saving some cash aside to build and install some bass traps and rockwool panels into the prospective room.
Hardware Preamp/Compressor; Golden Age 73 & Klark Teknik 76, from the reviews i've read the golden age 73 and KT76 have great reception, these will be workhorse compressor and pre for everyday tracking, I would more than likely get a KT-2a as well down the line.

Just want some gear suggestions on the equipment I am looking at getting and you guys' advice on future-proofing my set up. As much as some of this stuff will be overkill for me now, this will be my only opportunity to make some investment in my tools for a while. So I want to purchase smart now for the future. Any input/suggestions are invited!

Thanks

Joe.
curlybob43
Poster

Re: New Studio Space, New Gear...

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Just a couple of things...

While you can only use one audio interface at a time with ASIO, this limitation doesn't apply to MIDI so you can use a separate MIDI interface with no problems. I have both MOTU and M-Audio MIDI interfaces here which seem fine (although I've only used the MOTU on Windows 10).

Think about a couple of small diaphragm condensers - the Line Audio range are extremely good value for money.

Have a good think about your new room layout, room treatment, wiring and studio furniture. These may take up more of your budget than you think. They may not be quite a beguiling as new gear but you'll find that a good layout pays dividends in the future.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby curlybob43 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

James Perrett wrote:Just a couple of things...

While you can only use one audio interface at a time with ASIO, this limitation doesn't apply to MIDI so you can use a separate MIDI interface with no problems. I have both MOTU and M-Audio MIDI interfaces here which seem fine (although I've only used the MOTU on Windows 10).

Think about a couple of small diaphragm condensers - the Line Audio range are extremely good value for money.

Have a good think about your new room layout, room treatment, wiring and studio furniture. These may take up more of your budget than you think. They may not be quite a beguiling as new gear but you'll find that a good layout pays dividends in the future.

Thank you for your response James.

Yes I am planning on running a small Midi interface along with my UR824 in windows. I will check out the Motu and M Audio box, thanks for the suggestion. I have 2 desks and a double keyboard stand along with some mic stands and cables. I will certainly invest in quality cables and think about layout prior. No doubt ill be posting for advice closer to the time on acoustic treatment ;)
curlybob43
Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue May 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Home ownership is both expensive and time consuming.

Save your money, get moved in and, if you have any free time and spare cash, buy what you need then (there will be something new out by then which you didn't even know you needed). All very well having a future-proofed studio but no heating or a leaking roof.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 10, 2019 10:08 am

Think very carefully about layout and ergonomics, it can become hair tearing if you don't, you'll be constantly rearranging and consequently, rewiring. I find that a layout that enables you to reach everything (more or less) from a central monitoring position is something to aim for, if you constantly have to keep getting up, or overreaching, you'll just not use that gear, its surprising, unless everything is instantly available you tend not to use it as much as you would.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster