You are here

Any good voiceover software referrals?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Any good voiceover software referrals?

Postby mikehende » Tue May 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Hey guys, I am trying to help out a local guy here who wants to start doing voiceovers. He has purchased a mic and external sound card so needs a software but since he's now starting out he wants to get maybe the cheapest good one he can afford.

Can you guys recommend a couple softwares please which would work well for a beginner but also will give good quality?
mikehende
Regular

Re: Any good voiceover software referrals?

Postby Still Vibrations » Tue May 07, 2019 7:06 pm

A quick reply before the really knowledgeable forum members reply (and there are many here) but does he use a PC or Mac? If a Mac I would recommend DSP-Quattro:

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/Site/DSP-Quattro.html

Audacity is free for both PC, Mac and Linux:

https://www.audacityteam.org

However I'm sure the quality of the mic and audio interface are the more crucial elements. (I am involved in quite a lot of spoken voice recording but as a writer, not an engineer.) If it is voice over for video then my suggestions would not be relevant.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 07, 2019 8:25 pm

The room acoustics, microphone and vocal delivery are all far more important than the interface and software. I've been working with a voiceover artist recently who can deliver a great sound with absolutely no further processing. My job is simply editing the best bits together.

I use Reaper for recording and editing which has the bonus that, if we are working to video, I can load the video up in the timeline and see how the voiceover works with it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ariosto » Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 am

James Perrett wrote:The room acoustics, microphone and vocal delivery are all far more important than the interface and software. I've been working with a voiceover artist recently who can deliver a great sound with absolutely no further processing. My job is simply editing the best bits together.

I use Reaper for recording and editing which has the bonus that, if we are working to video, I can load the video up in the timeline and see how the voiceover works with it.

I second this. Reaper is excellent and with some room treatment it will be a good result. Close miking and a really dry sound is what is required with a noise floor of better than -60dB, with an RMS figure between 80 and 130 dB. These are the requirements for VO and narration work.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Wed May 08, 2019 11:54 am

Ok thanks for the help guys, will pass on this info.
mikehende
Regular