You are here

Livetrak review and questions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Livetrak review and questions

Postby permanent_daylight » Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Just got a livetrak, seems great, did the 2.0 firmware update, but there are really obvious flaws:

-complication of no 'virtual tracks'. I think you can do this with a USB stick, in addition to SD card. But why? why two functions for different storage? Haven't tried it yet so hopefully its a quick process to export/import files. I don't even own a USB stick yet, hence not having tried it...maybe the SD card could have the same import/export capability like the 'R' series does!?

-hi-z has way too much gain. I will need to attenuate or it would clip with a guitar and the gain knob at zero. I'm using single coils!

-no polarity switches...ok, I wont get rid of my cheap external preamps with them...

-compressor sound alright. would be nice to know what that knob is ACTUALLY doing though. Sometimes a simple peak limiter would do and that's all. If I place it at 9 oclock it appears to hold back clipping without too much colouration, but its obviously doing something...

-yet another ungrounded device...I'll be using a grounded preamp, but...really? Not as much noise as my R16 ungrounded, but there's still noise and need to be plugged into an amp or preamp whilst doing a simple setup like one microphone.

-missed a trick with the momentary slate mic. If it latched on, again its another feature the R16 has this doesn't which is an inbuilt mic. Not that i ever used it though.

But a quesion is because i was actually pretty impressed with the effects sounds, not super hi-def but have got a great VIBE (in a niche way, like for some dreampop/newwave type sounds)... is there any way to get a full-wet signal of effects exported? I want to mix things in my DAW later. I guess it might work if i max out the effect 20dB (?) above the dry signal but ideally no dry.

anyway, its all good, excited to record on it. At least its not flimsy plastic and over-stiff scratchy sockets like the R16. Another thing is lack of AUX and using a stereo splitter from the headphone outs as an AUX send (unbalanced needed) so i hope that works! Using the main A out is balanced which nothing i'm running it into would be! I guess a mono cable could work too or would that screw things up?
permanent_daylight
Regular

Re: Livetrak review and questions

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Under what circumstances are you running into problems with ground noise?

I've recorded a ton of stuff on Livetraks and the only time I've had a problem is with one particular mic that has a mains PSU.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby permanent_daylight » Thu May 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Under what circumstances are you running into problems with ground noise?

I've recorded a ton of stuff on Livetraks and the only time I've had a problem is with one particular mic that has a mains PSU.

Direct guitar, any microphone. Its not as major as it was on the R16 (which would have some phantom power squealing) but it still disappears when grounded, suggesting it shouldn't really be there. If i couldn't easily get rid of it i probably wouldn't complain, but still-its nowhere near as bad but since such (very quiet) noises disappear when i touch metal parts of the jacks I still want to do it... And of course if you've run tons of stuff, maybe you are using an external preamp? or a line connection to something grounded? (just to check...as if it was a mains PSU maybe it was a ground loop noise, not an ungrounded noise...I am no expert took me ages before i did this on previous devices)
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby permanent_daylight » Sat May 11, 2019 1:05 pm

permanent_daylight wrote:
Sam Inglis wrote:Under what circumstances are you running into problems with ground noise?

Direct guitar, any microphone. Its not as major as it was on the R16 (which would have some phantom power squealing) but it still disappears when grounded, suggesting it shouldn't really be there. If i couldn't easily get rid of it i probably wouldn't complain, but still-its nowhere near as bad but since such (very quiet) noises disappear when i touch metal parts of the jacks I still want to do it... And of course if you've run tons of stuff, maybe you are using an external preamp? or a line connection to something grounded? (just to check...as if it was a mains PSU maybe it was a ground loop noise, not an ungrounded noise...I am no expert took me ages before i did this on previous devices)

regardless, very satisfied with preamps on a piano recording yesterday.
there was some hum from a Fethead i was using.
in practice i cant poke holes in this but wait till i want to import/export.

A couple of times i nearly overdubbed over a previous recording. the 'overdub' light lit so i don't have to make new projects for each take. Yet using the 'rewind skip' key takes you to the last project if you are on zero...I'll be carefull of that especially since they are all named 83746587612 or something similar.
permanent_daylight
Regular