You are here

Studio Monitor And Audio Interface Recommendations

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Studio Monitor And Audio Interface Recommendations

Postby Alfiebuttons » Thu May 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi there and thanks for looking.

I am in the process of researching an upgrade of a few studio items.

I currently own some Presonus Eris 8 studio monitors and an Allen & Head Zed-i 10 hybrid 4x4 mixer for i/o.

Both have been great but now it's time to change.

I'm toying with a Focusrite Clarrett of some kind or a Universal Audio Arrow or Apollo Twin and maybe some Yamaha HS8's monitors.

I don't need a great deal of i/o becuase a good deal of my sound is alread in the box, so-to-speak. However I will record guitar, bass and some very occasional vox. Plus a lot of mixing and digital production.

The Universal Audio units seem great with the plugin concept but it sounds like wishful thinking to be able to run many plugins at all on a units, which does beg the question of what's the point?

Also, not sure of whether to go used or new.

I use Ableton Live with a Macbook Pro from 2011. The Macbook has 2x USB 2 and 1 x Thunderbolt 1. Thunderbolt currently occupied with running out to a larger display screen but doesn't have to be.

However, I am only at the start of my research and would welcome opinions and experiences please.

Many thanks for any help and advice.

Alf.
Alfiebuttons
New here

Re: Studio Monitor And Audio Interface Recommendations

Postby ef37a » Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Reading the SOS reviews of both the HS8 and the Eris 8s I don't see the Yamahas as much of an upgrade? IMHO you need to spend twice as much, minimum to get into "proper" accurate monitors?

That Apollo interface is I am sure superb for sound quality but a bit limited in my book? For well over £400 they could have given you ADAT in and MIDI!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Maarten » Thu May 09, 2019 10:39 pm

The Arrow uses Thunderbolt version 3. According to this page you'd need some pricey adapters to connect it to you laptop:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... -Computer-

Maarten
Maarten

Postby Alfiebuttons » Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 am

Hi Dave.

Thanks for that.

Sorry I actually own the Presonus Eris 5's at the moment but have been looking at upgrading to the Eris 8's or adding a Presonus sub to the Eris 5's. The Eris speakers are very good imho but while I am researching I'd like to look at other options hence perhaps the Yamaha HS8's. There's loads of monitors out there though it's quite baffling.

Take your point re the UA audio units. I have owned Focusrite before and thought it was a decent piece of kit. Again loads of options out there.

Just don't want to get it wrong.
Alfiebuttons
New here

Postby Alfiebuttons » Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Maarten.

Ok yes that makes sense. Rules the Arrow out then as I would need to upgrade my Mac to a slightly newer modelt. Not sure when Thunderbolt 3 started on Mac.

Thanks,

Alex.
Alfiebuttons
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 am

What's the imperative for an upgrade? Are you being limited in what you want to do or do you just fancy a change?

And the question that's usually asked of people contemplating an upgrade... is your room acoustically treated? If not, you'll find that spending some money on that will suddenly dramatically improve the sound of your existing monitors. :)

Or acoustic treatment really isn't possible - and it usually is - then invest some in decent open-back headphones.

There's several threads here from people who came asking for advice on upgrades, listened to what was said about acoustic treatment and were bowled over by the improvement it made.

Oh... and subs in an untreated room are usually not a good idea for getting decent mixes that will transfer well.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Alfiebuttons » Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Mike.

Thanks for that.

My reasons for upgrade are:

1. Yes I fancy a change but I am selling some gear that means a lot to me and I want to plough it back into something that will mean something to me and be with me for a while.

2. Bass extension on the Eris 5's is what it it but I would like more. Hence thinking of their bigger brother the 8's or the Yams or something else.

3. The audio interface I have was bought for versatility and features on a tight budget. I'd like to upgrade that a bit now. The A&H has been great though.

Regards my room it is a 5m by 5m square. Carpet floor. Curtains but no considered treatment. If I went for larger monitors I did plan to move into the centre of the room to allow 5 ft at the back of the monitors and approx 4 ft at the sides and then I was going to soften the wall behind the monitors somehow. I'll check out other threads though as that sounds interesting.

Understood re the sub. That was only if I kept my current monitors.

Many thanks.

Al.
Alfiebuttons
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 10, 2019 10:41 am

Mike Stranks wrote:And the question that's usually asked of people contemplating an upgrade... is your room acoustically treated? If not, you'll find that spending some money on that will suddenly dramatically improve the sound of your existing monitors. :)

Or acoustic treatment really isn't possible - and it usually is - then invest some in decent open-back headphones.

There's several threads here from people who came asking for advice on upgrades, listened to what was said about acoustic treatment and were bowled over by the improvement it made.

I was an advocate of acoustic treatment but, actually, had a little, more or less randomly placed around my studio, A couple of years ago I did a full refurb and properly addressed the acoustic treatment, as Mike says, the difference is night and day. It's the best £300 I've ever spent on studio gear..........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Fri May 10, 2019 10:54 am

Alfiebuttons wrote:Hi Dave.

Thanks for that.

Sorry I actually own the Presonus Eris 5's at the moment but have been looking at upgrading to the Eris 8's or adding a Presonus sub to the Eris 5's. The Eris speakers are very good imho but while I am researching I'd like to look at other options hence perhaps the Yamaha HS8's. There's loads of monitors out there though it's quite baffling.

Take your point re the UA audio units. I have owned Focusrite before and thought it was a decent piece of kit. Again loads of options out there.

Just don't want to get it wrong.
My point about the monitors was that IMHO a move to the Yamahas is more "horizontal" than "up". As you say, there are sheds of monitors but I see two camps really?

The vast bulk of sort of affordable ones, or at least the sort of money many people think it is reasonable to spend and then, to my mind "proper" monitors. For sure, the £300-£500 stuff can be useful and learned but a true upgrade is going to be in the £1000 each bracket.
For example, I have been using Tannoy 5As for some years. They are "ok" but I don't kid myself that they are anything special. I have set my sights on a pair of Result 6s* if I can make the numbers work in the next couple of years or so.

*That changes with almost every edition of SOS, a bit but I do like the simplicity of the R6s.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster