You are here

Behringer mixer getting hot

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer mixer getting hot

Postby Deleted User » Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi all
I have a Behringer mixer desk that gets hot around the power source after its been plugged in for a while. Somewhere in the manual it says its normal for it to get hot; but I have my doubts!

There is no coolant fan in it so how on earth are the resistors in the circuit board going to cool. There is also NO on/ off switch for it meaning that to make break the mains power circuit is done by plugging a wire in and out of it which is not a great idea as a switch that causes a spark and more likely have the load go in the wrong direction and blow the device as I would imagine it is not diode protected. The manual says disconnect it at the plug on the wall and don't take the wire out of the back of the mixer, but again still same problem.

I bought this item online from a UK seller and when it arrived it had a euro 2 pin plug on the end that had no fuse or no 3 pin plug UK adapter, I see no changeable fuse in the mixer its self too

The shop where I buy stuff from said they don't sell Behringer gear as it is rubbish and dose not last 5 minutes, at first I though this was there sales pitch but now I am starting to believe them!
Deleted User
Regular

Re: Behringer mixer getting hot

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Berry gear is mixed, old designs are sometimes not so good, modern stuff is usually pretty reliable and good value for money. UK sellers are obliged to supple a UK PSU. Which specific mixer model do you have?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Deleted User » Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Berry gear is mixed, old designs are sometimes not so good, modern stuff is usually pretty reliable and good value for money. UK sellers are obliged to supple a UK PSU. Which specific mixer model do you have?

Got it from gear4music. Probably going to stop buying from them though
Apparently you get a 2 year warranty if you register the device online with Behringer. Not like a Sure authorized dealer where the shop guarantees the warranty.

Its a 1202FX. PSU???
Deleted User
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 pm

I've got a couple of 1202s (and a 2222) and yes they do get hot but i've never had a problem with them. Unless it's too hot to touch then it's probably fine.
The idea that all Behringer gear is junk is, as Sam says, out of date. But it's still wise to avoid their DIs. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 pm

If they've taken the trouble to mention it in the manual then it is almost certainly normal. They almost certainly use regulator IC's to reduce the power supply voltage down to whatever the circuit requires and these are probably using the mixer case as a heatsink. They've had problems in the past with the ADA8000 where they underrated the regulators which lead to unreliability but plenty of other manufacturers do something similar - indeed, the heatsinks on my A&H desk get pretty hot but, from the way they are made, they are obviously intended to.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 10, 2019 9:58 am

BenjaminBunting wrote:The shop where I buy stuff from said they don't sell Behringer gear as it is rubbish and dose not last 5 minutes, at first I though this was there sales pitch but now I am starting to believe them!

:roll: I suggest that you start to go elsewhere if that's the view of the staff of current Behringer gear.

10-15 years ago some of their larger mixers in particular were flaky, but things have markedly improved. I've had several (5-10 I guess) of their smaller mixers as jobbing/utility devices and all have been fine... and, yes, the can get warm, but that's never been a performance/reliability issue for me.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 10, 2019 10:03 am

Dose anybodie smell a rat hear? :yawn:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 10, 2019 10:10 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Dose anybodie smell a rat hear? :yawn:

Hmmm... I've just reread the posts... I do now. Posted from a mobile device on an EE network in the Manchester area perchance?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 10, 2019 10:13 am

Close.... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Dose anybodie smell a rat hear? :yawn:

Yes, From when I read and replied to the first post last night. The alliterative username too.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Fri May 10, 2019 10:27 am

This is tiresome. :boring:

Has he seriously nothing better to do with his life? What's the motive?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Can't believe I missed the typo in the last sentence. :headbang:
I was plainly under-caffeinated.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 am

Of course it might be some sort of automated Turing test trying to fine tune its annoyance factor through repeated iterations. I suppose once they've perfected it here they'll take it over to Gearslutz where they'll get thermonuclear results.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat May 11, 2019 8:26 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Of course it might be some sort of automated Turing test trying to fine tune its annoyance factor through repeated iterations. I suppose once they've perfected it here they'll take it over to Gearslutz where they'll get thermonuclear results.

CC

He's already been/is active there - and other similar sites.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster