You are here

Replace my focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP with Clarett 4Pre?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Replace my focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP with Clarett 4Pre?

Postby demontraitor » Sat May 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi peeps

I currently have a Saffire 24 DSP running on Firewire 400, and would like to know if I would gain or lose anything "upgrading" to a Clarett 4Pre?

I have MiniNova, Bass Station II, and TB-03 going into my Saffire. Using Rokit 6 G3 and HD650s for output...

I currently get a some popping and clicking if I use the internet too much (was thinking of getting a dedicated (Intel) network card too....

I appreciate any help

Thanks. Demon
demontraitor
New here

Re: Replace my focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP with Clarett 4Pre?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Any mics used? If not then I suspect you wouldn't hear any difference. Pops and clicks during internet usage suggest you should simply disconnect from t'web when working on music ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby demontraitor » Sat May 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Any mics used? If not then I suspect you wouldn't hear any difference. Pops and clicks during internet usage suggest you should simply disconnect from t'web when working on music ;)

No mics.

So not really a hardware upgrade?
demontraitor
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 11, 2019 5:54 pm

The USP of the Clarett is it's mic preamps and ADAT input, if you are not using mics and don't need more inputs I can't see any advantage in changing.

I have a Saffire Pro24 (no DSP) on my office machine and as a portable recording setup. It doesn't get much use but it's fine, no clicks or anything.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 12, 2019 9:08 am

I used to have a Pro24, on Thunderbolt on my Mac. It's a very good interface, great sound quallity and worth keeping, I don't think you'll notice any really major differences with a Clarett. Basically, I would never use the internet while music making, it's Just not a good idea, you want to dedicate all of your computers resources to music apps.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster