You are here

Best reverb for vocals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Best reverb for vocals

Postby Guest » Sun May 12, 2019 5:22 pm

With so many types to choice from. What reverb works best for vocals in pop music please?

Re: Best reverb for vocals

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 12, 2019 6:49 pm

There is no such thing as 'the reverb that works best'. Many things about a track will influence the choice of reverb(s) and the settings you use with it/them.

Try the reverb plugins that come with your DAW of choice, and when you get something you like then perhaps try a different reverb to compare.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Guest » Sun May 12, 2019 7:03 pm

So what are you just saying go through the lot of them and see which one you like best?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Works for me...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Sun May 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Quite new to this myself, so it will be quite a challenge, going to be a lot of guess work though

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 7:44 pm

As a starting point I tend to go for a shortish plate reverb and use it very discreetly so you'd hardly know it was there.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm

cheap gear wrote:Quite new to this myself, so it will be quite a challenge, going to be a lot of guess work though

Sure. The good news is that the quality of reverbs (and other plugins) that come bundled with any DAW these days are going to be more than enough for your needs for ages yet.

Guesswork is fine initially, but one thing you don't have to guess about is how good it sounds to your ears. Once you've found something you like, try some alternatives and then see which of the results you prefer, if any.

Over time as you do more work you'll discover a sound that works for you. I would also strongly recommend finding some commercial material that is along the lines of the stuff you are producing and listen to the way the reverb sounds in that, and use that as a guide.

The recommendation above about short reverbs is a good one. A common error made by many people new to recording is to overdo the effects, reverb in particular!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 13, 2019 12:32 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:The recommendation above about short reverbs is a good one. A common error made by many people new to recording is to overdo the effects, reverb in particular!

Agreed - a shorter reverb lets your sounds 'breathe' in between the notes, rather than being swamped. A lot of musicians find themselves shortening reverbs later on in the mix, even if a longer one sounded good to start with, because it just sounds less 'cluttered' in the final analysis.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon May 13, 2019 11:06 am

Totally agree with everything that's been said here, and while time consuming it's worth just hitting "next patch" with all the reverbs at your disposal so you know what they do. I've found many a reverb that works brilliantly that I might've discounted given the name it's been given.

However, just to add that I've recently released Luscious Plates by Slate Digital and they managed to hit the spot without much faffing!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 13, 2019 11:13 am

It's obviously very genre-specific, but in general most vocals in rock/pop tracks don't really need reverb as such, just something that defines some kind of acoustic space. So reverbs with strong early reflections but a short decay tail tend to work best, hence the popularity of Plates and the classic reverb effects that just do early reflections.

PW has famously described long reverbs as acting like acoustic polyfilla... plugging all the gaps in the music!

And whatever contribution level you initially settle on with your reverb, always pull the fader back another 5dB before you print it! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And whatever contribution level you initially settle on with your reverb, always pull the fader back another 5dB before you print it! :D
Tch! Cowardice! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And whatever contribution level you initially settle on with your reverb, always push the fader up another 5dB before you print it! :D

Fixed! :bouncy:
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Zukan » Mon May 13, 2019 4:06 pm

.....and don't disregard using delays in place of verbs.
Zukan

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 pm

And sometimes you need to only put reverb on one instrument to give the impression of reverb on others - that's had me checking my reverb sends on more than one occasion.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 am

So for vocals, will go for the plate then
Cheers

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 am

And sometimes you need to only put reverb on one instrument

Yep, especially if you stick it on the snare.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Zukan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 am

cheap gear wrote:So for vocals, will go for the plate then
Cheers

Valhalla Plate is very good as is Abbey Rd Plates. I find the Tsar-1 plate really good and always works on vocals out the box.
Zukan

Postby ITHertz » Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am

And to complicate things further, you can always run multiple reverbs in series or parallel.

Cheers!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby Guest » Wed May 15, 2019 4:10 am

ITHertz wrote:And to complicate things further, you can always run multiple reverbs in series or parallel.

Cheers!
I don't think my mixer will allow that, but food for thought!