You are here

Connect multiple studio monitors together.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Connect multiple studio monitors together.

Postby riky181 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Hey,
I've been looking for a device which can connect different speakers of mine to a single computer output. I am looking for something more professional than a jack split. I only came across such devices known as monitor controllers, but they seem to be able to select only one monitor at the time. I want to be able to have all monitors playing music simultaneously.

Thanks
riky181

Re: Connect multiple studio monitors together.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Are the monitors active/powered or passive? What purpose are you wanting to play multip[le monitors together (it is not usual)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby riky181 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Are the monitors active/powered or passive? What purpose are you wanting to play multip[le monitors together (it is not usual)?
I make 8D music and need to be surrounded by multiple speakers.
riky181

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 pm

What you need is a soundcard with 8 outputs and manage the outputs in your DAW. Until your post I'd never come across 8D music but there will be a DAW plug in that will allow 8D panning and suchlike. I'll have a look and If I find one I'll post a link.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby riky181 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:What you need is a soundcard with 8 outputs and manage the outputs in your DAW. Until your post I'd never come across 8D music but there will be a DAW plug in that will allow 8D panning and suchlike. I'll have a look and If I find one I'll post a link.
Do you recon this sound card can do the job?

https://www.amazon.it/M-Audio-M-Track-E ... 8966&psc=1
riky181

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 pm

riky181 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:What you need is a soundcard with 8 outputs and manage the outputs in your DAW. Until your post I'd never come across 8D music but there will be a DAW plug in that will allow 8D panning and suchlike. I'll have a look and If I find one I'll post a link.
Do you recon this sound card can do the job?

https://www.amazon.it/M-Audio-M-Track-E ... 8966&psc=1

My interest was piqued, and I wasn't familiar with 8D either (and in fact it seems rather a marketing buzzword as it's nothing particularly new and it certainly isn't 8 dimensional), but looking around it seems to be more akin to binaural recording as opposed to multi-channel surround sound.

Jury rigging multiple monitors is unlikely to be of any use at all.

Is your current system capable of running plugins?

Still, to create it, you can use a free plugin called Ambeo Orbit from Sennheiser. There is some relevant information here: https://www.elrelojdesol.com/en/doctor- ... beo-orbit/

Out and out, from what I can tell, you therefore don't need multiple monitors or any special interface to create it, and using headphones is the best way of listening to it. As the 8D recording is, essentially, stereo I don't think that there is any benefit in using multiple monitors anyway as there are still only 2 channels in the resulting mix.

Andy Leech's 'Shoreline' and other 8D recordings seem to me to just be slightly weird continuous panning around the virtual space in any case. It's not an effect I find particularly pleasant myself.

:beamup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Sennheiser do mention the use of speakers for reproducing Ambio-3D audio:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-loudspeakers
https://www.auro-3d.com/system/listening-formats/

But really at that point you're looking at getting into surround sound and all that it entails, much of which is very deep pockets.

Unless for your own purposes or for doing 3-D audio performances even that would be of limited use as most listeners to 8D audio will be doing so using headphones in any case.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.