You are here

What mid-range mic would suit me best?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What mid-range mic would suit me best?

Postby MeatSheeld » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am

I record youtube voicovers and commentaries. I currently use the usb version of the Audio Technica at2020 (first "real" mic) and I'm looking to upgrade to a higher quality xlr mic. I already have the interface figured out so no help needed in that area. I currently am looking at the two mics: the Rode NT1 and the shure PG27 (or pga27 if it sounds similar, haven't been able to find a good comparison for voiceover). There is a slight price gap between the two but as far as other recommendations I wouldn't want to spend much more than the NT1. Basically what I'm asking is if anyone has used either (or both) of these mics could speak to their performance in the spoken word as well as any other suggestions anyone might have in a similar price range.
MeatSheeld

Re: What mid-range mic would suit me best?

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed May 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Why do you feel you need to upgrade? What are you not getting from the AT2020 that you hope to get from these mics?

I ask because the AT2020 is a decent mic, it's a tiny bit noisy, but for spoken word I wouldn't see that as being an issue.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 15, 2019 5:09 pm

I used to own an NT1 and much regret moving it on. It's a classy mic and good value for money. I used it exclusively for V/O and other spoken word projects' Lovely bottom-end which you won't get with the 2020 - excellent mic though it is for the money.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby MeatSheeld » Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 am

Random Guitarist wrote:Why do you feel you need to upgrade? What are you not getting from the AT2020 that you hope to get from these mics?

I ask because the AT2020 is a decent mic, it's a tiny bit noisy, but for spoken word I wouldn't see that as being an issue.

It's the usb version so the self noise is kinda loud for me and it doesn't really sound how I'd like with my voice.
MeatSheeld

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu May 16, 2019 3:26 pm

MeatSheeld wrote:... and it doesn't really sound how I'd like with my voice.

In the light of that statement I'd advise caution... I was on a merry-go-round of buying and using different mics for years and always not quite happy about how my voice sounded. Probably wasted significant sums doing that...

You'd be well-advised if circumstances permit in going to one of the well-established pro sellers like KMR (and others) to try before you buy.

The NT1 is a good mic and I'd have another one in a blink, but it may not suit your voice.

Another thing to consider is that most of us are very bad at judging how a mic sounds on our voice. We're so concerned at analysing characteristics of our voice - which the majority of us don't like - that we can't listen through that to what the mic itself sounds like. No easy answer to that one, apart from getting someone with good ears to listen to your voice & mic combo and give an honest opinion.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Thu May 16, 2019 4:12 pm

I agree with going to KMR or similar. :thumbup:

But AT are an excellend brand at the price - and are a real mic. company, rather than copying other people's designs.

So - the AT 4040 is a great mic. at the price - the step up from the 2020 - and is within your budget. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby CS70 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm

MeatSheeld wrote:
It's the usb version so the self noise is kinda loud for me and it doesn't really sound how I'd like with my voice.

That’s why equalizers exist. Barring room reflection issues, the timbre you’re hearing is your voice as other hear it.. to get it back how you hear it, you have to add a little bass or low mids.

And for self noise, are you positive it’s the mic? It sounds very odd indeed. Unless it’s faulty of course.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Watchmaker » Thu May 16, 2019 8:50 pm

I like the RE20 for spoken work. Adds a nice proximity effect and not too toppy.
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.