You are here

patchbay for combo (XLR + TRS) socket

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

patchbay for combo (XLR + TRS) socket

Postby ore_terra » Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 am

hi

I'm done of crouching under the desk to plug/unplug stuff in my apollo 8p. I've seen a few combo to XLR, combo to TRS, but of course there's always the risk of connecting your TRS stuff to phantom power...

does it exist such thing as a "male" combo connector?
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Re: patchbay for combo (XLR + TRS) socket

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 16, 2019 9:54 am

Sympathy. That issue is the main reason I went for an Apollo 8 plus a secondhand silverface to give me 8 preamps plus separate line inputs (the line inputs go to a patchbay and the preamps to an XLR patchbay, no groping around).

What you really need is a combo patchbay.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am

ore_terra wrote:does it exist such thing as a "male" combo connector?

No, I'm afraid not.

And so it's simply not possible to access both the XLR (mic) and TRS (line) inputs of a combo-XLR input to extend them individually and simultaneously to a patch bay either.

Combi-XLRs can be a great benefit in some situations, and a complete PITA in others!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ore_terra » Thu May 16, 2019 12:36 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Sympathy. That issue is the main reason I went for an Apollo 8 plus a secondhand silverface to give me 8 preamps plus separate line inputs (the line inputs go to a patchbay and the preamps to an XLR patchbay, no groping around).

What you really need is a combo patchbay.

CC

combo patch bay, yes. but connecting to the apollo with XLR, therefore I still have to be careful with phantom if I come with TRS!

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ore_terra wrote:does it exist such thing as a "male" combo connector?

No, I'm afraid not.

And it's not possible to access both the XLR (mic) and TRS (line) inputs of a combo-XLR input to extend them individually and simultaneously to a patch bay either.

H

thanks Hugh :thumbup:

if I would go for a XLR only patchbay and use DI boxes when wanting to connect TRS, would phantom power still be an issue with the transformer "in the way"?
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm

The Apollo 8 has 4 mic/line inputs on combi sockets, the manual has this to say WRT 48V "+48V phantom power is available for the XLR inputs via the front panel switch (#6) or the Console application." implying that spook is not available on the TRS, the block diagram in the .pdf manual confirms this. Just to be sure we are referring to the same device the manual is here https://media.uaudio.com/support/downloads/Apollo-8-Hardware-Manual.pdf

edit to add :- the rear panel XLRs are line inputs not mic inputs and don't have phantom available
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 16, 2019 12:48 pm

ore_terra wrote:if I would go for a XLR only patchbay and use DI boxes when wanting to connect TRS, would phantom power still be an issue with the transformer "in the way"?

No. A DI box will prevent phantom power on the Apollo XLR input socket reaching the line-level source. A passive DI box would be most appropriate when working with balanced line level sources.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound