You are here

Apologies for *another* Mic Question, But...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Apologies for *another* Mic Question, But...

Postby braindead3xl » Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm

You guys seem to favor the 4040 over the NT1. In the shootouts I've watched online, the NT1 edges out the NT1a, and the NT1 is almost identical to the 4040.

Any anecdotal thoughts from the experts here on the 4040 vs. the NT1?
braindead3xl
New here

Postby Random Guitarist » Sat May 18, 2019 5:11 pm

John Willett wrote:
And - well worth the extra. :thumbup:

No argument there, love mine and would like to get it a companion, got the first one for £250 a while ago, but rarely see them under £350 in the UK these days. Although baxshop has a tempting price right now . . .
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby CS70 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:33 pm

When I read your question I immediately thought that what you need is not so much the microphone, but a good compressor, 1176 style possibly. One of its many uses is exactly to get that intimacy/in your ear on a vocal take. It simply makes the small mouth noises much louder; since you normally don't hear them unless you're very close to the speaker, the effect is to produces a strong sensation of nearness.

As mics go, almost any would do so long it's not harsh on the highs, the more highs you put, the more you will increase the perception of nearness - as highs are quickly dissipated in the distance, a high shelf from 5K or a wide bell it's the standard trick to get a vocal sticking out just so.

Just my $.10 of course.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby braindead3xl » Sat May 18, 2019 6:18 pm

CS70 wrote:When I read your question I immediately thought that what you need is not so much the microphone, but a good compressor, 1176 style possibly. One of its many uses is exactly to get that intimacy/in your ear on a vocal take. It simply makes the small mouth noises much louder; since you normally don't hear them unless you're very close to the speaker, the effect is to produces a strong sensation of nearness.

As mics go, almost any would do so long it's not harsh on the highs, the more highs you put, the more you will increase the perception of nearness - as highs are quickly dissipated in the distance, a high shelf from 5K or a wide bell it's the standard trick to get a vocal sticking out just so.

Just my $.10 of course.

Thanks for this tip. The Redditors I asked (who were no help at all) simply said "use compression" but didn't say how or why. Thank you for this explanation. In the old days I didn't use any compression and still got this effect, but it wasn't automatic. It was almost accidental. Compression, I think, will help. Thank you!
braindead3xl
New here

Postby Brian M Rose » Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 pm

You guys seem to favor the 4040 over the NT1

Yet another AT4040 fan here for voiceover work.
OTOH, perhaps it's just my voice....
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 pm

The NT1 and NT1a are very different animals... Love the NT1, wouldn't go near a NT1a.

Some BBC Local Radio Stations are/have been using the 4040 as a presenter mic...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike At Eberly » Sun May 19, 2019 6:29 am

If you can solder, I highly suggest a T-12 from microphone-parts.com ($399)

https://microphone-parts.com/collection ... ophone-kit

It is a wickedly good mic for the price. I have many mics (including most of the usual vocal suspects going for 10x the price), this one wins many blind shootouts with "breathy" vocals. It also has two polar patterns and comes with a capacitor kit to change the high end if you so choose.
Mike At Eberly
Mike Man

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 19, 2019 10:53 am

Mike Stranks wrote:The NT1 and NT1a are very different animals... Love the NT1, wouldn't go near a NT1a.

Some BBC Local Radio Stations are/have been using the 4040 as a presenter mic...

Some people would die for an NT1, it's a mic, it produces a signal, thats the only requirement from those on a tight budget. Actually, the NT1 "isn't" a budget microphone by a lot of people's standards, a real budget microphone is one of those plastic Karaoki ones you find in the pound shop, but for a £1 at least it produces a signal!
We are interested in the minutiae of equipment detail, we like all that, but to some it isn't important, all they want to do is make a hit record, become a pop star, and make loads of money with the minimum of investment and with whatever is to hand.
Back in the world of those of us that have the luxury of choice, I've never been a fan of the NT1, it's got an annoying sound that attracts your attention, the top end is strange, the AT4040 is a better choice for me personally. But there are a lot of NT1's out there so....
I'd still reccomend an MD421 in most cases, it's such a good all rounder, a real desert island mic.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 am

Random Guitarist wrote:
John Willett wrote:
And - well worth the extra. :thumbup:

No argument there, love mine and would like to get it a companion, got the first one for £250 a while ago, but rarely see them under £350 in the UK these days. Although baxshop has a tempting price right now . . .

The OP is in the USA and they are a lot cheaper in the US.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby innerchord » Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 pm

To the OP. Do you want to recreate the sound you had, or emulate it with a more flexible mic? I'm assuming the latter and if I read you right you're after an intimate and breathy pop vocal sound.

In that case you just need a decent LDC and good compressor technique, IMO.
If you want a flexible, quality mic the AT4040 is great at the price, but you can get a C214 for just a little more, which may be of interest. Either of those would be a solid investment which you'd probably never want to sell. I can think of another dozen mics at that price which would probably give you the sound you're looking for.

There are just too many usable low-cost mics these days.
innerchord
Poster

Previous