You are here

Alesis SR-16 factory sounds

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Alesis SR-16 factory sounds

Postby ZillaG » Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 am

I just picked up an oldie Alesis SR-16 drum machine, and am going through the manual on assigning sounds to pads. i download the page from the SR-16 download page that lists the sounds. However, I'm baffled, some of the "kick" sounds don't sound like a kick drum at all, more like a closed hi-hat hit for example. I've reset the machine by powering it up WHILE pressing PLAY+ERASE buttons. What gives? Thanks.
ZillaG
New here

Re: Alesis SR-16 factory sounds

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Coincidentally I have just re-acquainted myself with this old friend from the nineties :)

Are you 100% certain it has reset? The user patterns and song are showing up empty? You can assign any sound you like to the pads. The labels on the pads are simply for convenience. So the previous owner might have set up kits with non-logical pad assignments.

There are various options in the MIDI menu for how it responds to an external controller but I'm 98% certain that doesn't affect the pads.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby desmond » Mon May 20, 2019 3:37 pm

And I already had this discussion with Tomás just recently, but will re-iterate it here - I was amazed to discover this budget drum machine release in 1991 is *still in production*, some 28 years later...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon May 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes, it's pretty amazing! In 2004 it got revised to all SMC inside, adding a 24 bit DAC and a headphone output. It was never a noisy machine so I'm fairly certain the DAC was chosen simply because that was the most suitable chip available, not because it gives more dynamic range. Probably does help a tiny bit as the sample are 16 bit and are played back with dynamics. I guess the extra space (and lower power consumption) allowed a headphone amp to be added. I'm assuming the sounds will become hip any day now, as is the way with all drum machines :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby desmond » Mon May 20, 2019 3:57 pm

We just need a CustomSynth modded all-white version, now... :smirk:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby innerchord » Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm

:o They still make that? I admire any tech with longevity.
I threw mine in a box about fifteen years ago and haven't seen it since.

I have vague memories of timing issues with that machine, and being glad when I replaced it with a sampler.
innerchord
Poster

Postby ZillaG » Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 am

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Coincidentally I have just re-acquainted myself with this old friend from the nineties :)

Are you 100% certain it has reset? The user patterns and song are showing up empty? You can assign any sound you like to the pads. The labels on the pads are simply for convenience. So the previous owner might have set up kits with non-logical pad assignments.

There are various options in the MIDI menu for how it responds to an external controller but I'm 98% certain that doesn't affect the pads.
100% I reset since user presets are all empty indeed. And yes I’m trying to assign a sound to a pad, kick drum for kick pad, and that’s when I noticed the issue. I’d choose the sound, but it doesn’t sound like a kick, but a rim shot or something.
ZillaG
New here

Postby forumuser811659 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:00 am

I purchased an Alesis HR-16 around 1991. Then, about a year later, I upgraded to an SR-16. I really never used it much after about 1998, but I kept it in my rig. About three years ago, when I was downsizing my studio, I sold it on ebay. Last week, I came upon a synch issue that found me wishing I had something that could produce a reliable beat with MIDI clock. When I started looking for inexpensive drum machines, I couldn't find anything less expensive than a used SR-16, so I bought another one on ebay (turns out that it was an almost perfectly even swap at $75 including shipping). It came today, and was, by all accounts, a 1996 model. Works great! Just goes to show that some pieces of kit are exceptionally well thought out and well made that enables them to have product runs in excess of 25 years. It would be interesting to know how many of these Alesis has manufactured since 1991. It has to have set some kind of electronic music product record.
forumuser811659

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am

Tomas, do a midi dump plus a sysex dump of the entire content and send it to the OP. That should sort him out
Zukan