You are here

Shure SRH1840

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Shure SRH1840

Postby jellyjim » Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Hello

Headphones for mixing, open-back, detachable cable, around £350 budget. Extensive Googling screams Shure SRH1840s, though some find them uncomfortable.

Any advances on those before I push the great big PayPal button of spendy joy?

Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Shure SRH1840

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 pm

I still haven't heard any open-back headphones in the same price range that I like more. And I don't find them uncomfortable.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed May 22, 2019 9:20 pm

I’ve settled on the Beyer DT880. I now use them as standard over my Sennheiser HD650s, mainly because they are far more comfortable (for me).

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Luke W » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm

I certainly don't regret buying mine. Although I usually use them for fairly short amount of time I've done a couple of jobs where they've been on most of the day and comfort hasn't been an issue.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Jorge » Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 pm

I recently got a pair of Neumann NDH 20 headphones. Closed back and a little over budget, but worth considering. The sound seems to be the most accurate of all my headphones, which include Sennheiser HD600, Denon DN2000, Sennheiser HD25-II, and a variety of less expensive but comfortable Sonys and Sennheisers. I also use the Etymotic ER4 and ACS T1 3-driver in ear monitors for general listening but not mixing and I have not tried the Shure SRH1840 for comparison.
It is hard to have a perfect gold standard for comparison, so here is the full disclosure. I am judging subjectively without any measurements, from mixing my own recordings for which I know the true sound and the mics used, and also comparing with Neumann KH120 nearfields with subwoofer in a reasonably well treated studio. In addition I have listened carefully with each pair of headphones to a small set of CD recordings I know well, some of which I also know the singer and her/his voice in real life. I am weighting the voice fidelity of recordings more than other qualities. I do have some sound-induced high frequency hearing loss that I have learned to factor in but which does affect my perception of high frequencise to a degree. Check the recent SOS review of the NDH 20 for a more experienced and valid opinion on high frequencies and overall sound.
The comfort of the Neumanns is only fair to good compared to the HD600 and Denons (both very comfortable), because I have big ears and the Neumanns are circular, fairly shallow, closed back and relatively heavy. Even so, the improvement in sound is well worth the slightly less comfortable fit in my experience. I have no business conflict of interest.
I suggest you consider the Neumanns for mixing, but strongly suggest finding a pair you can try on to see if they fit your ears.

Edit: I just saw Sam Inglis' comment and realize that he did both the Shure and Neumann SOS reviews. Sam, what do you think between the NDH 20 and the SRH1840 for mixing?
Jorge
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed May 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I still haven't heard any open-back headphones in the same price range that I like more. And I don't find them uncomfortable.

I'd second that. I had a chance to play with them for a bit. They were nicer-sounding — as in more detailed and revealing — than my HD650s and anything else in that sort of price range I'd tried before (including the usual suspects from eg. AKG, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic). Sadly didn't have the funds to spare at the time...

Put another way, unless you have a bigger budget to spend, I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed in the Shures... unless of course they happen not to be a great fit for your head (like the AKG K701s weren't for mine, even though others here swear by them!)
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Jorge wrote:Sam, what do you think between the NDH 20 and the SRH1840 for mixing?

Tough question!

If comfort is a consideration, I'd definitely go for the Shures, because I can wear them for long periods without discomfort, whereas I found the Neumanns quite uncomfortable.

If you find them equally comfortable, then I think it boils down to whether it's more important to have a neutral frequency response or low distortion. The Shures are audibly flatter, but the Neumanns are incredibly clean. This should make them a very good candidate for frequency correction with Sonarworks' software, and I'd expect the NDH+Sonarworks combination to be about as good as it gets with closed-back phones. But then of course you're talking about further expense.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Jorge » Thu May 23, 2019 12:51 am

Thank you Sam!
I got the NDH 20s before your review came out, and I agreed with almost all your comments in the review. I do find the isolation of the NDH 20s very useful when I want to mix and edit a recording in another room that is better ventilated but much noisier than my studio.
Jorge
Regular