You are here

Looking for reasons to keep my Focusrite 18i20...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Looking for reasons to keep my Focusrite 18i20...

Postby spittinpigeon » Thu May 30, 2019 12:07 pm

I chose the 18i20 over the 18i8 solely for the word clock so I could use it with my old D8b and HDR2496. Now it's looking like I might not be doing that.
The unit is still in the box, so I could exchange it for the 18i8 but before I do, what might I need word clock for in the future?
I'm just getting back into recording after almost 15 years out, I'll admit I'm overwhelmed by all that has happened in my absence.
I'm running a one man show in my home with guitar, keys and vocals, everything else will be done in the box, don't really need all those in and outs but part of me is thinking: "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it", particularly because I love toys and I'll certainly be expanding my setup as time goes on.
So will I be ok giving up the word clock or is there something I'm not thinking of?
Thanks for your help!
spittinpigeon

Re: Looking for reasons to keep my Focusrite 18i20...

Postby Dave B » Thu May 30, 2019 1:10 pm

You've basically answered your own question here. You made a good choice - I wouldn't go for a main interface that lacked wordclock as you never know when you might need to interface with additional gear. As you say "better to have and not need". I'd say plug it in and just start using it - it's a great bit of gear and you will find the simplicity of the modern approach quite liberating!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm

I have one and use wordclock to run it alongside (on top of, actually) a Berhinger Ultragain Pro-8 Digital to give me 8 more input channels. Both great pieces of kit.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 pm

And those extra line outputs give you more space to add future hardware options if that's the route you take. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 30, 2019 2:22 pm

+1...... Ask yourself if you desperately need the £80 refund for something else, if not keep it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Watchmaker » Thu May 30, 2019 2:41 pm

If you ever plan to use another interface, you'll need the wordclock. Keep it.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Wordclock's simple enough even I got a handle on it. I'd say keep it too.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 31, 2019 12:45 am

As above.

Also, the 18i20 makes for a fabulous ADAT expander if you ever get another interface, giving you 8 mic pres, two assignable headphone outputs as well as line outputs.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I have one and use wordclock to run it alongside (on top of, actually) a Berhinger Ultragain Pro-8 Digital to give me 8 more input channels. Both great pieces of kit.
I use an OctoPre going ADAT in for 16 channels of input (perfect for recording lots of synths live) and ADAT out to a Behringer ADA8000 for 16 channels of output.

I love the 18i20!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby kingmoot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:01 pm

I've just bought one of those - whilst you might think it's a bit overkill for your needs, what sold it for me was not the number of channels, but unlike a lot of interfaces, it also gives you MIDI IN and OUT which I require, as I have some outboard gear.

You'll need a seperate MIDI interface, if you use MIDI and opt to change interface.
kingmoot
Poster