You are here

Hum again...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Hum again...

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 am

Sam Spoons wrote:plus SWMBO would not countenance a raft of acoustic panels all over the living room :headbang:
I can recall the day an old friend bought a pair of Quad electrostatics, put acoustic tiles on the walls, and built a patch bay into an alcove of the family living room.......a divorce followed.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:48 am

Unreasonable behaviour ... on the part of the spouse! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Unreasonable behaviour ... on the part of the spouse! :lol:

Totally.

I'm quite lucky, in that my partner is just as crazy as I am when it comes to creative pursuits.
She insisted I use my KEF's (ugliest speaker award) she said, "Tony Bennett sounds like he's in the room, leave them alone!" And when I sell things she quizzes me ruthlessly to find out if it's really the right thing to do.
Also, she's the woman who pulled me out of bed at 7am in the morning to get on a train to Newcastle to look at a TVR. If I said I was off to the USA today to buy a Buchla module her bag would be packed before mine.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:13 am

You'll be telling us next she's heir to the family distillery :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:47 am

in addition to the valid points you made, there's also the benefit of a single plug/cable for a stereo connection, and a single plug/cable for rec/rep connections with recording devices.
That only worked if the correct question of useage was met by a knowledgeable sales assistant.
I did a temporary job at Boots record counter while waiting to get my job in telly.
I was the only person there that knew which DIN cable did the playback and which one did the recording.
Great fun playing records all day but frustrating having to reprice each cassette individually on what seemed like a weekly basis.
MOF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:You'll be telling us next she's heir to the family distillery :D

She has been in the upper echelons of the music business, so she knows we're all slightly off kilter. Her previous partner wrote a symphony for her, looks like I've got a lot to live up to. A soundscape on my synth is going to have to fit the bill.

MOF, record shops, the booths, the pegboard, the SP25's, its all coming back.....

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 am

I have a couple of little ATC SCM7s turning up tomorrow for a new stereo listening system in a room upstairs and am really looking forward to firing them up

Hugh, as a matter of interest, what are you using to drive your new ATCs?
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:56 am

Not had a chance to set them up yet, but I'm hoping they'll play nicely with a Quad 405. If not I have some other options...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am

Thank you, Hugh. The 405 was a lovely design, and in terms of hardware, the first time that the heatsink was made the focal point. I am just looking at mine now, currently driving some Spendor BC1s, although the preamp is a Doug Self design which I built from a series of articles in Elector, April to June 2012.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 am

Trevor Johnson wrote:Thank you, Hugh. The 405 was a lovely design, and in terms of hardware, the first time that the heatsink was made the focal point. I am just looking at mine now, currently driving some Spendor BC1s, although the preamp is a Doug Self design which I built from a series of articles in Elector, April to June 2012.

Good grief, I'm beginning to think we all shared the same hi-fI! I had a pair of Spendor SP1's, driven by my Quad 405!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:55 am

It's a taste thing! :lol:

Back in the distant eons I too had a pair of BC1s which I upgraded to SP1s before selling them on. Very nice speakers in their way.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi-FI is a bit like our hair, you seem to go through periods when it all works, your hair looks good and your hairdresser is superb, then, the hairdresser leaves, and no one seems to be able to cut it right, ever again.
There are golden memories in my hi-fI history where it all came together, but it never seemed to last very long. I'd be tempted to sell something because I thought there was a better speaker, or a better amplifier out there, of course, often it wasn't better, and I'd end up in limbo not being happy with my system again.
My golden period, which has never been surpassed was about 25 years ago, I had an Onkyo 100 watt per channel amplifier, a real beast, twin transformers, basically two amps in one case, a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers, a Sansui CD player, and Michell Gyrodeck.
I still wake up in cold sweats wishing I had all that stuff now, it really did sound totally beyond. The speakers rotted away, the amp developed a fault, I sold the Gyrodeck because I stopped playing records, the CD player I think I gave to someone.
I don't care about all this as much as I used to, and I'm quite happy with my current stuff, if it continues working I think it will see me out.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Arpangel wrote:My golden period, which has never been surpassed was about 25 years ago, I had an Onkyo 100 watt per channel amplifier, a real beast, twin transformers, basically two amps in one case, a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers, a Sansui CD player, and Michell Gyrodeck.

wow - that's tickled my brain cells Tony, causing me to remember that many, many years ago I owned a pair of KLH 317 loudspeakers. Our plumber at the time bought the KLH 317's, and I replaced them with a pair of Rogers LS2/a2 that I still have working perfectly to this day 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:My golden period, which has never been surpassed was about 25 years ago, I had an Onkyo 100 watt per channel amplifier, a real beast, twin transformers, basically two amps in one case, a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers, a Sansui CD player, and Michell Gyrodeck.

wow - that's tickled my brain cells Tony, causing me to remember that many, many years ago I owned a pair of KLH 317 loudspeakers. Our plumber at the time bought the KLH 317's, and I replaced them with a pair of Rogers LS2/a2 that I still have working perfectly to this day 8-)

Martin

KLH were a ver over looked speaker, but superb, especially the earlier models, Model 41 Model 5's. I'm guessing that your LS2's were superior to that model of KLH.
Friends and I at the time really wanted Acoustic Research, but we couldn't afford them, the KLH's were "almost" in the same ball park, cheaper, so we got those instead.
Rivals from KEF, JBL, Tannoy all sounded very dubious compared to Acoustic Research and KLH, regardless of price.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous