You are here

Soundcraft K1, repair/recap/service or move on?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Soundcraft K1, repair/recap/service or move on?

Postby jellyjim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Hello

I picked up a Soundcraft K1 about 18 months ago very cheap and it's served me really well. Unfortunately the right hand master channel is becoming intermittent. It responds to a good hard thump! Not great.

I'm happy with the pres and eq, though to be fair I don't have much to compare them to, but what I really do like and really do take advantage of are the numerous routing options. Six aux channels, 4 group busses, the four matrix mixer channels. It's a very versatile desk in that regard. Of the various music listening, performing and recording tasks I undertake it always has a solution.

So I don't know whether to get it repaired and a proper service and recap while I'm at it or just move on to a modern console. What would I be spending to better it? What might repair/service/recap cost? Is it worth it? I realise the K1 isn't of 'special' or 'esoteric' interest like an old Amek or whatever but it's my understanding that it was pro gear in its day. Are there even modern equivalents any more? I've already invested a couple of hundred quid in a new Bluedog PSU as the old one buzzed like a bag of angry bees.

As title then, repair/recap/service or just move on?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Soundcraft K1, repair/recap/service or move on?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:13 pm

It's a good desk -- I bought one for a project while I was at the Beeb and it served extremely well. As you say, it has very versatile routing options and the sound quality is pretty good. There was one bolted to the wall of one of BBC Radio's OB trucks to handle extra channels beyond the capabilities of the SSL console!

I doubt I needs a recap quite yet, though, and your intermittent fault is most probably just a bit of tarnishing on the mix insert socket normalling contacts, and/or the internal ribbon cable connectors.

I'd check the inserts first by wiring the tip and ring contacts together of a spare TRS plug. Plug that into the right channel mix insert socket and see if that cures the intermittent drop outs. If it does, a squirt with some and a bit of exercising of the socket will probably sort you out.

Likewise, some exercising of the internal ribbon cable connectors to wipe the contacts and some deoxit will probably add a good few years extra life...

As for potential replacements, pretty much all the current crop of similar-sized digital boards will offer similar routing facilities and a lot more besides...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jellyjim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote: I'd check the inserts first ... Likewise, some exercising of the internal ribbon cable connectors

Great, thanks Hugh. I'll try your suggestions.

As for potential replacements, pretty much all the current crop of similar-sized digital boards will offer similar routing facilities and a lot more besides...

Could you name a couple off the top of your head Hugh? I'm totally out of the loop/behind with digital mixers.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby jellyjim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:33 pm

jellyjim wrote:Could you name a couple off the top of your head Hugh? I'm totally out of the loop/behind with digital mixers.

Nevermind. Now that I look I see they've been under my nose! I didn't need to look any further than Soundcraft themselves for some examples. I see they still do straight analog consoles too, besides the Signature USB things.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster