You are here

Rca cable adapter or RCA cable that can be connected to 2 soundcards and a monitor:

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Rca cable adapter or RCA cable that can be connected to 2 soundcards and a monitor:

Postby warmothbuilder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:55 pm

I wonder if there are any RCA cables with 4 mono jack plugs and 2 RCA plugs so that it's possible to plug 2 sound cards into the same set of monitors? Or are there some kind of adapter for this?
warmothbuilder
Poster

Re: Rca cable adapter or RCA cable that can be connected to 2 soundcards and a monitor:

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:52 pm

It isn't a good idea to have two outputs driving a single input - that's why we have mixers. Do you want both soundcards sending audio at the same time? If not a switch box would probably be the best solution.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... dp/AV12769

If you do then a simple line mixer would do the job.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Rca cable adapter or RCA cable that can be connected to 2 soundcards and a monitor:

Postby warmothbuilder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 pm

James Perrett wrote:It isn't a good idea to have two outputs driving a single input - that's why we have mixers. Do you want both soundcards sending audio at the same time? If not a switch box would probably be the best solution.

No, I'm just going to use one soundcard at a time. I just don't want to have to switch the rca cable between my Line6 UX1 and the other soundcard all the time.
warmothbuilder
Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:11 pm

warmothbuilder wrote:
James Perrett wrote:It isn't a good idea to have two outputs driving a single input - that's why we have mixers. Do you want both soundcards sending audio at the same time? If not a switch box would probably be the best solution.

No, I'm just going to use one soundcard at a time. I just don't want to have to switch the rca cable between my Line6 UX1 and the other soundcard all the time.

Yes but you are still going to have each sound card connected to the other. The output resistance of a soundcard is typically only 100Ohms and they are almost never capable of driving such a low resistance (if I understand what you are trying to do)

Such a loading is unlikely to damage the cards, but it might and will certainly cause distortion, even if one card is off. Several options...

1)fit a build out resistor in each "hot" leg of a minimum of 1000 Ohms. Each out put then "sees" at least 2k Ohms and should be fine (but not always! Some op amps start to distort with loads of around 2k. The TL072 for a very common one)

2)Fit a switch between the outputs. In theory you just need to switch the hot signal and leave the screen intact, in practice you could introduce a ground loop and it is best to use a "double pole, double throw" switch but since this is two channels, you will need a 4 pole DT. Maplin did them so I bet CPC & Co will have them.

3) Use a monitor Controller. If the runs are short, under 3mtr say, a passive controller such as my Mackie BK would serve.

4) Mixer as James suggested. I did that for years and although it goes against good practice to introduce "budget" electronics into the monitor chain, I did it for years and found no problems. I only went for the BK because I wanted to tie in some other gear for copying, cassettes mainly.

https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/1m41t ... gLaG_D_BwE

The very same chap! ^

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

Verily, ef37a speaketh the truth...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby warmothbuilder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks for answering.
warmothbuilder
Poster