You are here

YT vid 'explains' why analog emulations don't sound as good as they should? Any truth in this?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: YT vid 'explains' why analog emulations don't sound as good as they should? Any truth in this?

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 pm

And there was I expecting Hugh to write a highly readable essay on anti-aliasing, and he managed to chip in the perfect response with one word :headbang:

Bravo Hugh! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: YT vid 'explains' why analog emulations don't sound as good as they should? Any truth in this?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Sorry... been away... too tired to write essays this morning...

But basically this bloke is saying that using a plugin designed to sound nasty makes it sound nasty... I'm not really going to get very exited about that.

Any well-designed plugin will ensure it complies with the Nyquist requirements. Most decent plugin these days employ oversampling and proper anti-alias filtering of the output specifically to ensure that. Some less well-engineered plugins might not -- in which case they are, technically, BROKEN!

Sometimes broken things make noises that some people like -- and I so know some people that really like the sound of aliasing.

But aliasing isn't rocket science. Both the reasons for it occurring, and the solutions to prevent it, are very well known.

If you have plugins that sound nasty, and you don't want nasty, don't use them. Use something that works properly.

Or, process your audio through them at a much higher sample rate and then use a decent sample rate conversion tool to apply the required anti-alias filtering back to the base-band sample rate of the rest of your project.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Most decent plugin these days employ oversampling and proper anti-alias filtering of the output specifically to ensure that.

How can you tell? Can you give us some examples of what you consider 'decent' plugins? I'd have considered Soundtoys 'decent'?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Previous