You are here

Analogue versus Digital - Radio 4

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Analogue versus Digital - Radio 4

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 am

N i g e l wrote:I have often wondered what the developing fluid was, does anyone here know ?

When I was 'the lad' in the VT department the stuff we used when physically cut-editing 2-inch Quadruplex video tape was called Edivue, but I can't find any references or sources of that online. Something that looks very similar, though, is called Kyread:

https://www.magneticdeveloper.com/

Thankfully, electronic editing came in almost immediately after I started with the BBC, and Quads were quickly replaced by the 1-inch C-format, along with Hi-band U-matic, then Betacam and Beta-SP. My associations with the VT department ended around that time so I missed the joys of all the different digital video formats...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:43 am

My small bottle of "developer" kindly supplied to me by an elderly gent in the UK many years ago, is almost empty so I need to replace it. Some research I did a while ago suggests it's not too hard to make one's own brew, the magnetic ingredient being Carbonyl Iron.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote: ...called Edivue, but I can't find any references or sources of that online. Something that looks very similar, though, is called Kyread:

Great info Hugh, thanks !

:thumbup: :)
N i g e l
Regular

Previous