You are here

How to "start" my Alesis SR-16 from Logic X?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How to "start" my Alesis SR-16 from Logic X?

Postby ZillaG » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 am

I recored a drum pattern on my Alesis SR-16, and now want to record it onto Logic X on my iMac. I want to record BOTH the actual drum sounds and MIDI data. I have the following connection

Alesis --> MIDI Out --> MIDI/USB cable --> iMac USB port
Alesis --> MIDI In --> MIDI/USB cable --> iMac USB port (same port as above)
Alesis audio out --> Focusrite audio i/f --> iMac Firewire

All see to be connected well. I can trigger my drum machine sounds from iMac, and can see audio channels for the drum machine.

Now what I want to do is when I press "Record" on Logic X, it'll start the Alesis after the count-in, and start recording my drum pattern on my Alesis. I can't seem to figure this out, and I've Googled it.

Thanks!
ZillaG
New here

Re: How to "start" my Alesis SR-16 from Logic X?

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:33 am

You need to set the SR16 to receive 'MIDI clock in messages'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2Ioi4GVsY
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 pm

You also want to make sure that you have your MIDI/USB cable selected as the input on the correct type of track (External MIDI vs Software Instrumnt) and that the MIDI/USB cable is set as the Destination for MIDI control messages and MTC under Preferences > MIDI. Lastly, as stated above, the SR 16 needs to be set to accept clock in, it does not do this by default.

Syncing MIDI gear with Logic can be a process of trial and error so once you get it down, make a template of your settings!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:58 am

Ben Asaro wrote:You also want to make sure that you have your MIDI/USB cable selected as the input on the correct type of track (External MIDI vs Software Instrumnt) and that the MIDI/USB cable is set as the Destination for MIDI control messages and MTC under Preferences > MIDI. Lastly, as stated above, the SR 16 needs to be set to accept clock in, it does not do this by default.

Syncing MIDI gear with Logic can be a process of trial and error so once you get it down, make a template of your settings!

Yeah, like everyone else said:

MAC<AUDIO MIDI SET-UP<Make sure your USB to MIDI device is highlighted and not shaded grey.

SR16<MIDI set up< Clock in ON< Drum out ON (This is only if you want to record the MIDI pattern into logic, otherwise don't bother) MIDI channel will probably be set to 10 on the SR but clock isn't channel specific so it shouldn't matter...still, doesn't hurt to match channels
LOGIC<Preferences<MIDI<SYNCH< Tick "Destination 1" box, then set drop-down menu to whichever behavior you wish.

As far as synch goes THAT'S IT, you shouldn't have to do ANYTHING ELSE....HOWEVER...

KNOW THIS....Regardless of what the Apple paid astroturfers say after I post this, know this fact: LOGIC IS HORRIBLE WITH EXTERNAL MIDI....AWFUL!

I stopped using Logic because it simply DID NOT WORK, I use multiple DAWS, they ALL work, ONLY LOGIC did not work. I won't go into the problems, other than to say, it was 100% UNUSEABLE. Totally broken, Apple denied it, then admitted it in limited instances when they thought they had it fixed, went back to denying it when they screwed up again...

I have NO IDEA where they are at with it now, but I warn you, try another source of MIDI clock, if the problem is Logic JUST WALK AWAY, you will NOT fix it and it will waste your life and time.

If you get one thing from this post, let it be this: If Logic ends up being the problem (And find out if it is as soon as possible) YOU NEED A NEW DAW.

Ignore this advice at your own peril.
Terrible.dee
Poster