You are here

Soundcraft 22MTK and Tascam 48 Reel to Reel

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Soundcraft 22MTK and Tascam 48 Reel to Reel

Postby rjack3141 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:51 pm

How can I hookup my old Tascam 48 R2R with this Mixer? Is it even possible? I really don’t want to HAVE to by an Analog board.

Plz help!
rjack3141

Re: Soundcraft 22MTK and Tascam 48 Reel to Reel

Postby MOF » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:02 pm

You take the eight outputs to eight of the line level inputs routed to the stereo bus (MST).
You can either use the four group outputs with a Y connector to inputs 1&5, 2&6, 3&7, 4&8 for example and record them to which tracks you want or make up a jack bay to plug whichever input channel you want to the relevant input on the recorder.
Since there are no direct outs on each channel I can’t see a way to record all eight tracks with separate sources except for using aux sends as well as the group sends and re-plugging as necessary.
MOF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:58 am

If you've gone to the trouble to get a good analogue tape machine you must be serious, don't skimp on getting a suitable mixer. Something like a Soundcraft Spirit 16-8-2 would be good, and pretty cheap too. Even my Behringer QX2422 would do the job as it has 8 direct outputs, but the four groups have handily been split into 8 for you, so you don't have to mess with split leads, and, it's only £200 and sounds great.
A patch bay is essential in a set-up like this, as you may have to re-patch on mixdown depending on the mixers input channel count.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rideau » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:45 am

Soundcraft MTK22 was not designed for 8-track tape tracking/mixing at all but here what I would try using 8 of the 9 TSR outputs available (5 AUX and 4 groups).

On the MTK22, use tracks 1-8 as "tape return" tracks. From the 48 XLR output into XLR mixer channel inputs. These tracks must be routed to the master bus only (MST switch ON) to let you monitor what you record (tape monitoring) or playback/mixing coming from the 48. But they must not be routed to the group buses (pull off group switch for each channel).

Use tracks 9-16 (or more) for tracking your instruments/microphones into the 48. You can use AUX 1-5 to output the wanted tracks to input 1-5 of the 48. If you route a track to the 48 with the AUX bus, pull off the group and master buses switch for these tracks and turn up the AUX output levels.
Use the group bus 1-2 to output the mixer to input 6-7 of the 48. You can now hard pan left-right and route the tracks you want to group 1(left) and group 2(right) to input 6-7 of the 48.
You still have group bus 3 or 4 to output the mixer to 48's last track 8 in the same fashion.
Pull off the master (MST) bus switches of all group buses.
This should work but you now have a pretty limited mixing environment with no more AUX/FX available.

Usually 8-track Tascam were used with dedicated Tascam mixer M300 or M500 series.
I have a Tascam TSR-8 and I use the M308 for mixing. I also have a Soundcraft MTK12 that I used for input recording because the M308 does not have phantom power. But I can only output 5 tracks simultaneously (3 AUX, 2 groups) from the MTK12 using the above method which is fine for what I do.
Mixing with the m308 is very fun and I have plenty of groups and AUX for FX.
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 pm

I was just thinking - why has no-one suggested using the inserts? Surely every semi-serious mixer has inserts. Then I looked at the grainy pictures in the brochure and realised that this mixer doesn't. It really doesn't look remotely like the right tool for the job.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 am

The whole point of the 22MTK is that you can multi-track straight to your DAW with the convenience of an analogue mixer front end. So in that sense it is not 'fit for purpose'.

This draws into question the benefit of using tape at all when there are emulations which will get you most of the way there without the cost, commitment and inconvenience! One assumes your Tascam is fully serviced and up to the job.....

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz