You are here

Adding artificial harmonics or frequency content

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Adding artificial harmonics or frequency content

Postby Elephone » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi. Say you have drum kit stems that sound a little dull due to lack of high frequency content...

...is there any software that can actually add convincing harmonics based on the fundamentals of the snare, hats, and crash?

It was recorded in a rehearsal room on an old 8-track, and I know there are all sorts of replacement methods (triggering a kick sample, etc) but I just wondering if there is another way.

I suppose I could find out the exact snare and cymbals and find sample to hi-pass and add to the existing audio, but I'm not sure if that would work well.

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Adding artificial harmonics or frequency content

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Elephone wrote:Hi. Say you have drum kit stems that sound a little dull due to lack of high frequency content...

...is there any software that can actually add convincing harmonics based on the fundamentals of the snare, hats, and crash?

That's exactly what the 'Aural Exciter' is designed to do. Aphex made the original hardware versions, but there are plenty of others in software plugins now.

Although you'll struggle to find strong fundamentals in snares, hats, and crash cymbals since they are all basically noise generators! Nevertheless, an aural exciter will add the crispness and brightness you seek in a more convincing way than simple HF shelf EQ.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:That's exactly what the 'Aural Exciter' is designed to do. Aphex made the original hardware versions, but there are plenty of others in software plugins now.

Although you'll struggle to find strong fundamentals in snares, hats, and crash cymbals since they are all basically noise generators! Nevertheless, an aural exciter will add the crispness and brightness you seek in a more convincing way than simple HF shelf EQ.

Another device which might be worth checking out is the SPL Vitalizer which is also available as a plugin. You can grab a 14-day free and fully functional trial version here: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... mk2-t.html

It's not the cheapest plugin but it gives a pleasing 'sheen' to most things you put through it and the trial version may be enough for you, though with regards to the highs your mileage will vary depending on the nature of the original audio.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:42 am

If you are a Reaper user then take a look at Stillwell's Exciter in the JS folder. I find it works just as well as the Aphex hardware. I think that it is available in the Reaplugs package for other DAW's too.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jeraldo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:43 am

Free and nice sounding-

Voxengo Overtone GEQ

Useful to audition the oversampling options.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:28 am

Elephone wrote:...It was recorded in a rehearsal room on an old 8-track,...

Hi Elephone, was the recording a little dull sounding when it was made or does it only sound that way now? Normally with anything that is only a little dull sounding, we boost the treble accordingly, ie: a little. Have you tried that?

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 am

Yeah first try to get the individual tracks in shape, using an exciter on the snare is a common trick. For overheads you can first try a high shelf boost and hear how it works,. If it’s not enough, an exciter on the drum bus can add presence but watch out for your snare becoming cardboard :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Key thing is, are the higher frequencies there but too quiet? In which case a simple EQ might do the trick. Or are they missing altogether? In which case you'll need to artificially generate some with an exciter of some kind.
Of course you can do both. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm

James Perrett wrote:If you are a Reaper user then take a look at Stillwell's Exciter in the JS folder. I find it works just as well as the Aphex hardware. I think that it is available in the Reaplugs package for other DAW's too.

Why oh why do I keep forgetting to look at reaper's bundled plug-ins? :headbang:

Yes, this is a great exciter James 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker