You are here

Drum "room mic(s)" ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Drum "room mic(s)" ?

Postby MDslammer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Hello,

New to the forum. Nice to be here. I have a question regarding drum room mics.

I have a small home studio, approximately 500 sq. feet. I have my drums miked up with
the following: 2 mics for the bass drum, 2 for the snare, 4 tom mics, 1 hi-hat and a pair of
overheads.

I was considering employing an addition room mic(s) but wanted to get some advice if anyone could help.

1. Do I need to use a "stereo" setup or will 1 mic be sufficient?
2. What is the preferred mic for this use?
3. How should be the positioning for the room mic?

Any other information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Mark Dalzell
Las Vegas, NV
USA
MDslammer
New here

Re: Drum "room mic(s)" ?

Postby SimonZ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello and welcome,

It is one of those areas where free experimentation is the answer.
But generally........
1. Mono or Stereo are both used often. (deciding factor is usually the number of mics/channels you have available)
2. You will hear of LDC's or ribbons most often but again the general rule is 'whatever you have left over to work with.
3. A few feet in front of the kit between knee and waist height is popular.
Also out near a wall, facing the wall to capture early reflections is common too.
But it is so room dependent that just trying things until you get a result you like is the only way.

good luck.
SimonZ
Regular

Postby MDslammer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks for taking time to reply and help out.
MDslammer
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:47 pm

The mot important consideration about room mics is whether the room actually sounds any good and adds anything useful. If not, an artificial or convolution reverb would be much better options.

MDslammer wrote:1. Do I need to use a "stereo" setup or will 1 mic be sufficient?

Either can work... but stereo will give more of a sense of three-dimensional space and depth.

2. What is the preferred mic for this use?

It's not that critical -- use whatever you have and whatever gives a nice sound. I've seen it done with LDCs, SDCs, ribbons, moving-coils, boundary-layer mics, tie-clip mics... etc etc...

3. How should be the positioning for the room mic?

It's generally a good idea to choose and position the mic(s) with their polar-pattern in mind, aiming the pattern null at the kit so that the mics pick up mostly the reflected sound and very little direct sound. The mics are usually placed well away from the kit and close to the walls to maximise the reflected sound energy and minimise the direct sound again.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MDslammer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks Hugh for the detailed info. I think the mention you made of "how the room" sounds is the deal breaker in my case.

My studio's live sound is so so and most likely, I'd get very little return employing a room mic.

Regards.

Mark
MDslammer
New here

Postby Mixedup » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm

It depends very much on what role you want this room mic to play in the kit, and what role the other mics are playing in the kit too.

This SOS feature explored a few options for ambient drum mics in smaller live rooms. It includes some audio examples. You might find it useful...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby MDslammer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Maybe looking to see if the room micing would be of a benefit regarding a more open/ambient sound.

But, as Hugh pointed out earlier, a good natural or convolution reverb might work as good as, if not better.

Additionally, another very good point I overlooked was the sound of my room. Regrettably, is lacking.

But, I do have a nice selection of mics and mic preamps recording my Yamaha PHX drums.

Just thought I'd get some education, and have.

Much Appreciated.

Mixedup wrote:It depends very much on what role you want this room mic to play in the kit, and what role the other mics are playing in the kit too.

This SOS feature explored a few options for ambient drum mics in smaller live rooms. It includes some audio examples. You might find it useful...
MDslammer
New here