You are here

Single track audio from Xenyx (or similar) mixer to iphone camera app?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Single track audio from Xenyx (or similar) mixer to iphone camera app?

Postby wesalauzen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Hi, new to the forums so I hope I am not asking a question that has been asked many times before, but I am a singer and guitarist of sorts. I have recorded some demos just using my iphone 6s and voice recorder or camera app that have worked well for what I want thus far, but now I would like to record using my guitar and an external mic and a harmony pedal.

I bought an audio interface that is supposed to work with an iphone by focusrite, but when I plug my guitar in and mic in it send the signal as two separate channels to my phone and i can't make use of it with the standard camera app or voice recorder. I don't want to use garage band and mix tracks etc, I just want to record what I am doing live and be a one a done thing.

Question I have is do the Xenyx usb mixers (cheaper ones, less that $100 USD) output a single track? Meaning if I plugged my guitar in, my mic in, with harmony pedal inline, my output via USB would be a single track that I could input to the phone using the lighning cable and record straight into the camera or voice recorder apps?

I just want to be able to send my vocals, guitar and pedal to the camera app as though they are coming through the internal mic. Mixer combining these inputs into one signal that essentially replaces the audio that would be picked up from the internal mic in normal use of the camera app?

simple, no mixing, no effects, just vocals and guitar in as one signal to iphone native camera app and voice recorder. Xenyx or similar do this? just usb out to lightning into phone and go?

I would really appreciate any help.
wesalauzen
New here

Re: Single track audio from Xenyx (or similar) mixer to iphone camera app?

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:36 pm

If you pan mic and guitar centrally (but balance the levels) then what emerges from the mixer's Main Out jacks is double mono so if you could just record one of them, job done?

The possible fly in that ointment is the USB take off in the mixer? I suspect the USB signal is taken PRE pan and therfore the signal will remain resolutely stereo, well, two channels anyway.

I don't have an iPhone but if it will accept any "generic USB Audio Device" then splash 20 quid on a UCA 202 and just feed in one channel from the Xenyx mixer.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 pm

I've been puzzling over this one too Dave and the OP (welcome to the forum BTW) want's to record to the camera app but can only get Garage Band to work with the Focusrite. It must be possible as mics like the Rode VideoMic Me-L is designed to plug into an iPhone and record decent audio on the user's videos. But I can't find if it uses the standard camera app or needs to do something funky that Focusrite don't have.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby wesalauzen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 pm

it seems if I just had an external mic, I could run that into the iphone no problem and it would just replace the internal mic. So using a mixer, isn't the point of it to mix the various input signals into one outgoing signal?

I guess I'm not 100% sure on the stereo vs mono, but I assume the internal mic would be stereo and an external mic would be a stereo signal coming in.

It's just that when things are sent as separate signals, guitar one signal, mic a separate signal and they are not mixed with an audio interface and that requires you to use a DAW to mix the two in the software after the fact.

the reason I like the camera and voice recorder apps is that when you are done, you have an mp3 or mp4 file. no mixing or after work required. you just press a button to start the recording and again to stop and once you title the file, you have an uploadable product.

it's raw I guess, but simple. This is what I am hoping to accomplish. I don't want to get into mixing and mastering, etc. Just record what I am doing if it's possible.

Thanks again.
wesalauzen
New here

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:18 am

"it's raw I guess, but simple. This is what I am hoping to accomplish. I don't want to get into mixing and mastering, etc. Just record what I am doing if it's possible. "

This ^ is where where "words" get in the way Wes'! "Mixing" can of course mean the sometimes daunting task of combining several tracks in an artistic and meaningful way and takes time and skill. The process I outlined is just an electrical process of getting the voice and guitar signals out of the mixer at appropriate, relative levels.

If you simply record into a phone (I have Easy Voice Recorder on my Android) you are still "mixing"! It is just that you are taking the acoustic mix and recording that. However, that acoustic mix might not be optimum. Sure, you can position the phone re guitar and cake receptacle but then the picture is likely not what you want? Straight up hooter say!

The Xenyx plus mics gives you the freedom to get the best voice/guitar balance (in mono) before you send it to the phone. Now, HOW you get the rather high level from the mixer into the phone I am not sure about but someone here will surely know.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am

The problem with iPhones 7 up is that they don't have an analogue mic input. If I get the chance later I'll have a play with my USB mic interface (Blue Snowflake) and my iPhone 6S to see if the photo app recognises the audio interface, which is supposed to be 'class compliant'. I could also try the XR12 mixer which should allow a mono track with a mixer guitar and vocals.

The problem with a single mic input is that you can't use the vocal processor at the same time......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 pm

I think a few people might be missing the point here...

The OP already has a Focusrite interface that works with the iphone but, as the camera app only sees one of the two channels, he can only record one input. There's no need for another interface, just a way to combine two channels into one. Is there an obscure setting in the operating system that might fix this?

Alternatively - could a camera app that records in stereo be a possibility?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:20 pm

James Perrett wrote:I think a few people might be missing the point here...

The OP already has a Focusrite interface that works with the iphone but, as the camera app only sees one of the two channels, he can only record one input. There's no need for another interface, just a way to combine two channels into one. Is there an obscure setting in the operating system that might fix this?

Alternatively - could a camera app that records in stereo be a possibility?

Hmm? The mention of the Xenyx mixer threw me then James. I saw he wanted a single channel but was asking if a USB mixer would deliver that? If so, the answer is no. AFAIK a USB mixer will deliver a stereo result.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby wesalauzen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:43 pm

I wish I understood the stereo / mono thing more.

if I have a standard dynamic mic picking up my vocals, does that output a stereo or mono signal?

If I have a guitar output through an instrument cord, does that output a stereo or mono signal?

If you run these two signals into a mixer and then out to a couple of monitors, is that stereo or still mono?

I guess I always thought that the mixer's job was to blend everything for a single output signal (mono?). You can set your EQ and volumes there and then just go.

Additional info:
I have an ipone 6s so I still have a headphone jack if that makes things easier and I'm not dead set on the usb style mixer, was just thinking this might be the easier way to go.

Also, regarding my comments earlier regarding "simple but raw" recording this way. My goal is not to achieve high end studio quality recordings. I'm just looking for a way to record stuff to share with friends and family who like my unprocessed sound. The biggest reason I want to do this is to incorporate the harmony pedal, if I wasn't doing that, I could just use the internal mic.

Thanks for all of the ideas and brainstorming, I appreciate it. keep them coming.
wesalauzen
New here

Postby wesalauzen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Yes, the focusrite does have everything I need technically to gather together the guitar and mic inputs and get it to the phone, but the signal out is not a single channel so the apps I am using can't make use of the signal.

If there is a way to use this, I'm game also. I guess my question was intended to ask what do I need to accomplish what I am trying to do without a bunch of money. Could be a xenyx or similar mixer. I guess I wasn't sure so hopefully the way I phrased the question wasn't misleading.

thanks again.
wesalauzen
New here

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm

True "stereo" is a specific was of organizing sound signals, usually two signals but you can have more than two channel "stereo" (the word actually means "solid")

If you have a mic and a guitar going through two channels of a mixer that is not stereo, it is 2 channels*. Inside the mixer the two signals can be separately processed in terms of level and tone EQ and often effects (FX) such as reverb or compression. Each signal can be assigned proportionately to either a left or right "bus" and in a simple mixer these will finish up as the left and right main outputs that exit the mixer to drive other gear such as a PA rig or some form of recorder. The control that does this assigning is the "pan pot". If you don headphones you can try it. Waffle into the mic and as you rotate the pot the sound will move from your left to right ear. In the centre you will get it in both ears and the effect is a central image. Same goes for any other channel, with the pan pot on each channel you can put the image of any source just where you want it. Note, at no time does any source become "stereo" you are just "constructing" a picture from individual mono sources.

Geeez! This is hard to write! Could SHOW you in a flash. (go find a thread called RTFM!)

*But! If you had two (preff identical) mics properly arranged some distance from both guitar and voice the resultant recording WOULD be stereo and the two track treated as a pair from then on as a rule, i.e level and EQ changes would be applied equally to both.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:32 pm

wesalauzen wrote:Yes, the focusrite does have everything I need technically to gather together the guitar and mic inputs and get it to the phone, but the signal out is not a single channel so the apps I am using can't make use of the signal.

If there is a way to use this, I'm game also. I guess my question was intended to ask what do I need to accomplish what I am trying to do without a bunch of money. Could be a xenyx or similar mixer. I guess I wasn't sure so hopefully the way I phrased the question wasn't misleading.

thanks again.

Aha! Now, correct me if I am wrong you proper recording peeps but. I think the whole problem rest with the fact that the F'rite AI does NOT have pan pots! AIs never do of course.
See, if it did you could combine the voice and guitar such that both channels contained both and were in fact a "mono mix" . I take it that the phone only gets ONE of the signals?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby wesalauzen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks Dave, that does help a lot. I guess I didn't really understand the terms mono and stereo. So essentially I have been working with mono signals, just with a central image.

I swear I got my "understanding" of stereo and mono from the boom boxes in the 80s. Both speakers were working when in "stereo mode" and if you pressed "mono" only one speaker would work... I hate to say it, but that's the depth of my knowledge of stereo and mono until your post : ) figured you might get a good laugh out of that : )

yes, if I remember correctly, I get only the vocals from my mic through to the phone when using the focusrite (I think it's an Itrack solo). It's been a while since I tried it.
wesalauzen
New here

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 pm

I've had a look at the Solo's manual and since it makes quite a point of its use with "i" devices I did not quite understand why it would not allow two track recording?
Then I remembered, you are using a camera app. Even so it does seem very odd, given that everything is "stereo" these days that it does not record stereo or at least record a mono sum of the two channels from the USB stream? I suspect there is another version that you have to pay for!

Can I assume you have a computer and are not doing this from your phone? If so I suggest you run the Solo on the PC and make a two track recording. You can then turn that into a mono track and combine it with the video. All a bit of a faff I will admit!
New technology is not always better. Several years ago my son needed to do a video audition (trying to get music work on the liners. He was good but NOT as good as those guys!) Simples! I borrowed a camcorder and fed the video to the RCA input of a Freeview recorder along with the audio from a soundcard in a computer. Mixer was a Behringer Xenyx 802!

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster