You are here

Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

Page 2 of 2

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am
by Bob Bickerton
It’s been covered - you’re now more than likely looking at close miking.

One thing I’ve learnt about recording student violinists is that they often struggle with tone. To be kind, use as neutral a mic as possible, ribbon if you have it, on the violin.

Bob

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 am
by Hugh Robjohns
Agreed... sounds like close multi-miking is your best bet now. Shame. :-(

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 am
by Arpangel
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Agreed... sounds like close multi-miking is your best bet now. Shame. :-(

Yes, I don't know, but I hate multi-milking, I suppose that when a stereo pair works it sounds so good, very much like a live performance, natural. My old friend Mike Skeet used to crack me up, he'd say if you can't balance yourselves go away and come back when you can, he'd move people around, "stand there and don't move"! he'd also say about this session, call me back when you've got a proper piano.
I'm up for this though, however it turns out, it'll be a good opportunity to offer my services for nothing, I just want to get as much experience as possible at this stage, as I'd like to take it a bit further, recording local choirs etc, and trying to do more microphone based recording if possible.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 am
by Sam Spoons
The electric piano does at least give you the chance to separate the vocal from the piano (and to balance the levels) by using a good PA or monitor speaker placed a little distance from the piano. Say piano/vocal dead centre, Violin 6' to the left, piano speaker 6' to the right. Then you can try the stereo array, I would close mic/DI as well but it's only two extra mics and a single DI.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:51 am
by Arpangel
Sam Spoons wrote:The electric piano does at least give you the chance to separate the vocal from the piano (and to balance the levels) by using a good PA or monitor speaker placed a little distance from the piano. Say piano/vocal dead centre, Violin 6' to the left, piano speaker 6' to the right. Then you can try the stereo array, I would close mic/DI as well but it's only two extra mics and a single DI.

Thanks Sam, yes I'm forgetting the golden rule, always have more than one system running, not only as a back up, but as an alternative approach.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:09 pm
by The Red Bladder
Arpangel wrote:My old friend Mike Skeet used to crack me up, he'd say if you can't balance yourselves go away and come back when you can, he'd move people around, "stand there and don't move"! he'd also say about this session, call me back when you've got a proper piano.

And he was right!

Arpangel wrote: I just want to get as much experience as possible at this stage, as I'd like to take it a bit further, recording local choirs etc, and trying to do more microphone based recording if possible.

You will learn nothing from this, other than to avoid such gigs in future!

Others will hear the results and look for someone else to go to. They won't know why it sounds dreadful and they will assume that the engineer was to blame - that is the immutable rule when recording idiots!

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:38 pm
by Arpangel
The Red Bladder wrote:Others will hear the results and look for someone else to go to. They won't know why it sounds dreadful and they will assume that the engineer was to blame - that is the immutable rule when recording idiots!

I think we need to get this into perspective, I'm a 65 yo guy whose looking to fill up some time doing a favour for some friends. I'm not a 25 yo hungry engineer desperate for a career.
I couldn't care less what people think of my music or my recordings, I'm too old for all that.
Of course, I'd like to do a good job, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out to be record of the week on R3.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
:D nicely put.

I've just spent the evening recording a local choir concert, and despite agreeing before hand the areas where they'd perform, they did one number much further forward, right under the main array and perfectly in the nulls of the fig-8 outriggers. Grrr....

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 pm
by Aural Reject
Hugh Robjohns wrote::D nicely put.

I've just spent the evening recording a local choir concert, and despite agreeing before hand the areas where they'd perform, they did one number much further forward, right under the main array and perfectly in the nulls of the fig-8 outriggers. Grrr....

....cue my anecdote about rigging in a room for a wind band that was already about 10% of the size it needed to be...and then them asking at the first break “Right...where are we going to put the pipes and drummers?” just as 5 bagpipers and a 10 piece drum corps turned up....

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am
by Mike Stranks
The Red Bladder wrote:
Arpangel wrote:My old friend Mike Skeet used to crack me up, he'd say if you can't balance yourselves go away and come back when you can, he'd move people around, "stand there and don't move"! he'd also say about this session, call me back when you've got a proper piano.

And he was right!

Arpangel wrote: I just want to get as much experience as possible at this stage, as I'd like to take it a bit further, recording local choirs etc, and trying to do more microphone based recording if possible.

You will learn nothing from this, other than to avoid such gigs in future!

Others will hear the results and look for someone else to go to. They won't know why it sounds dreadful and they will assume that the engineer was to blame - that is the immutable rule when recording idiots!

To anyone just starting-out recording non-professionally... the statements above are opinions (and rather jaundiced ones) not fact.

Most amateur groups are pleased to have any sort of recording. They are nor listening with 'professional' ears. You may spot some things in the recording that are lessons-to-learn... they almost certainly will not.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 am
by blinddrew
There are also lots of different reasons to record. Sometimes you just want a record of something so that you can analyse the performance or the orchestration later without distractions, sometimes it's as a memento, sometimes it's just so you can remember what you finally decided to do after umpteen rewrites and restructures, etc.
All of these don't require a release-ready standard of recording, but all of them benefit from getting the best sound you can. And in most cases you'll find something you could do better next time.

I reckon...

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:41 am
by Arpangel
blinddrew wrote:There are also lots of different reasons to record. Sometimes you just want a record of something so that you can analyse the performance or the orchestration later without distractions, sometimes it's as a memento, sometimes it's just so you can remember what you finally decided to do after umpteen rewrites and restructures, etc.
All of these don't require a release-ready standard of recording, but all of them benefit from getting the best sound you can. And in most cases you'll find something you could do better next time.

I reckon...

I'm becoming aware of "avoiding the obvious" but sometimes the obvious, isn't so obvious!!
Like taking a photo of a beautiful sunset, and being so preocupied focusing the lens that you failed to notice that huge electricity pylon ruining the composition!
Noise for instance, and only noticing it after the event. The French Horn being way too loud, and not noticing simply because you were focusing on the strings too much.
Recordings don't lie, like cameras, and it's strange how many things go unnoticed until we look or listen to the final product.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:32 pm
by Sam Spoons
^ This :clap: