You are here

Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Job recording classical demo, violin piano and voice.

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Arpangel wrote:My old friend Mike Skeet used to crack me up, he'd say if you can't balance yourselves go away and come back when you can, he'd move people around, "stand there and don't move"! he'd also say about this session, call me back when you've got a proper piano.

And he was right!

Arpangel wrote: I just want to get as much experience as possible at this stage, as I'd like to take it a bit further, recording local choirs etc, and trying to do more microphone based recording if possible.

You will learn nothing from this, other than to avoid such gigs in future!

Others will hear the results and look for someone else to go to. They won't know why it sounds dreadful and they will assume that the engineer was to blame - that is the immutable rule when recording idiots!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:38 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Others will hear the results and look for someone else to go to. They won't know why it sounds dreadful and they will assume that the engineer was to blame - that is the immutable rule when recording idiots!

I think we need to get this into perspective, I'm a 65 yo guy whose looking to fill up some time doing a favour for some friends. I'm not a 25 yo hungry engineer desperate for a career.
I couldn't care less what people think of my music or my recordings, I'm too old for all that.
Of course, I'd like to do a good job, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out to be record of the week on R3.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 pm

:D nicely put.

I've just spent the evening recording a local choir concert, and despite agreeing before hand the areas where they'd perform, they did one number much further forward, right under the main array and perfectly in the nulls of the fig-8 outriggers. Grrr....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Aural Reject » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::D nicely put.

I've just spent the evening recording a local choir concert, and despite agreeing before hand the areas where they'd perform, they did one number much further forward, right under the main array and perfectly in the nulls of the fig-8 outriggers. Grrr....

....cue my anecdote about rigging in a room for a wind band that was already about 10% of the size it needed to be...and then them asking at the first break “Right...where are we going to put the pipes and drummers?” just as 5 bagpipers and a 10 piece drum corps turned up....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am

The Red Bladder wrote:
Arpangel wrote:My old friend Mike Skeet used to crack me up, he'd say if you can't balance yourselves go away and come back when you can, he'd move people around, "stand there and don't move"! he'd also say about this session, call me back when you've got a proper piano.

And he was right!

Arpangel wrote: I just want to get as much experience as possible at this stage, as I'd like to take it a bit further, recording local choirs etc, and trying to do more microphone based recording if possible.

You will learn nothing from this, other than to avoid such gigs in future!

Others will hear the results and look for someone else to go to. They won't know why it sounds dreadful and they will assume that the engineer was to blame - that is the immutable rule when recording idiots!

To anyone just starting-out recording non-professionally... the statements above are opinions (and rather jaundiced ones) not fact.

Most amateur groups are pleased to have any sort of recording. They are nor listening with 'professional' ears. You may spot some things in the recording that are lessons-to-learn... they almost certainly will not.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 am

There are also lots of different reasons to record. Sometimes you just want a record of something so that you can analyse the performance or the orchestration later without distractions, sometimes it's as a memento, sometimes it's just so you can remember what you finally decided to do after umpteen rewrites and restructures, etc.
All of these don't require a release-ready standard of recording, but all of them benefit from getting the best sound you can. And in most cases you'll find something you could do better next time.

I reckon...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:41 am

blinddrew wrote:There are also lots of different reasons to record. Sometimes you just want a record of something so that you can analyse the performance or the orchestration later without distractions, sometimes it's as a memento, sometimes it's just so you can remember what you finally decided to do after umpteen rewrites and restructures, etc.
All of these don't require a release-ready standard of recording, but all of them benefit from getting the best sound you can. And in most cases you'll find something you could do better next time.

I reckon...

I'm becoming aware of "avoiding the obvious" but sometimes the obvious, isn't so obvious!!
Like taking a photo of a beautiful sunset, and being so preocupied focusing the lens that you failed to notice that huge electricity pylon ruining the composition!
Noise for instance, and only noticing it after the event. The French Horn being way too loud, and not noticing simply because you were focusing on the strings too much.
Recordings don't lie, like cameras, and it's strange how many things go unnoticed until we look or listen to the final product.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:32 pm

^ This :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous