You are here

Pair of modded (and possibly matched?) NT2A's??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Pair of modded (and possibly matched?) NT2A's??

Postby Guitarking » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 am

Hi everyone

I have the possibility to buy a pair of Rode NT2A's secondhand.
Theyre moded but the owner (who is the second owner and has barely used them) doesnt know which mod.
Ive asked for serial numbers and if he could check if the pollar patterns work.

Im doubting as 400 euro is still a lot of money for me.

I have 2 c414 buls (non matched), tlm 102, 2 nt55's (matched), nt2a (normal unmodded version), x1r.
Ill be using it to record guitars, drums, acoustic piano, maybe vocals.
I can use the c414's for overheads or piano AB but there not perfectly matched. I had hoped they were (i bought the second one later) cause I also wanted to experiment with Blumlein.

What I want with the NT2A's. A matched pair to do Blumlein and some Neumann like LDC's for recording piano as a contrast of the darker C414's. Matched pair is important for me though, don't want to end up with 2 mics that don't turn out to be matched like my 2 C414's.

I must say my own NT2a is not my favorite though it has its uses when i need something brighter.

Would it be wise to buy?
Would a mod make a nice difference?
Is it worth it or maybe other options round the same price? Had the 4400a as a mp in mind but theyre more expensive here bout 650 euros. Would they be better?
What to do ;-)?
Guitarking
Regular

Re: Pair of modded (and possibly matched?) NT2A's??

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 am

For myself, I have never understood the mania for 'modding' mics, and especially in a case where you don't know what mods were done, I'd be a bit sceptical.

I think if I were in your position I'd be more tempted to sell the 414s so I had the budget to get a really good pair of matched mics.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 am

^ Wot Sam sez!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John Willett » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:32 am

+3 :thumbup:

I would never buy a modified mnic.

The person who designed the microphone knows everything about it. A modification may make one thing "better", but may have made other things worse in doing so.

So - what Sam said. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:01 am

'Modding' is much more of a USA thing than a British one. Some of their 'modders' - eg Michael Joly - have a huge following and a mic modded by him is regarded as something special - in the States.

In the UK, as has already been stated here, modding is viewed much more equivocally.

FWIW I agree with everything that's been said... especially about moving-on the 414s and getting a proper matched pair.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 am

I think the real issue here is that the 'mods' are unknown, rather than that the mods exist. Personally, unless I could test the mics out extensively before committing, I wouldn't touch a mic of unknown pedigree like that.

But Mike is right, our friends over the water are much more into 'boutique' and 'modding'... much of it is nonsense and badly engineered crap, but some really is genuinely good and worthwhile. The problem is sorting out which is which! ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound