You are here

On mics and the acoustic environment

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:18 pm

I believe so. I think some of the first NT1s may have had Chinese capsules which may have led to the confusion.

Regarding panels, if you have a morsel of DIY capability I’d recommend Autex panelling http://www.autexindustries.com/acoustics/.

It is has more absorption than rock wool and is much easier and safer to manage, just cut with a sharp knife. It’s what I’ve used in my tracking studio and works very well. It’s light too, so window panels can be removed and installed with ease.

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3876
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:Regarding panels, if you have a morsel of DIY capability I’d recommend Autex panelling http://www.autexindustries.com/acoustics/.

It is has more absorption than rock wool and is much easier and safer to manage, just cut with a sharp knife. It’s what I’ve used in my tracking studio and works very well. It’s light too, so window panels can be removed and installed with ease.

Bob

Thanks Bob, DIY is right up my street so that makes a lot of sense as an option. Got some work to do!

The room isn't actually as messy as it looks, it's just the lack of light and the crummy camera I used but think I can move a few things around to make more space for panelling.

Cheers :thumbup:
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com
 

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:59 pm

awjoe wrote:The bit I liked best was the 6 tuner skull. 'For fine adjustments.'

When it comes to music I'm something of an emotional guy so I like to surround myself with objects that help the mindset. Being an 'old goth' such frivolities are rather more useful than they may first appear ;)

To everyone else, thank you very much for the insights. I'm lost at sea when it comes to anything not contained in a cable but I'm really seeking to create a space I that will enable me to make the most of the equipment I have and the music I write.

It's not an ideal environment space-wise, I know, but I think the room doesn't do justice to the output I'm creating and every little helps, so none of the input is lost on me :thumbup:
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com
 

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby awjoe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:44 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
awjoe wrote:The bit I liked best was the 6 tuner skull. 'For fine adjustments.'

When it comes to music I'm something of an emotional guy so I like to surround myself with objects that help the mindset. Being an 'old goth' such frivolities are rather more useful than they may first appear ;)

I listened to 'Swansong', but nothing in that's miked, right? Near the end, I actually jumped to 'en si bemol' to see if that one had what you were talking about initially. The addition of another synth sound at 1.08 is great. Then it keeps developing after that. Changing up big time. Really good stuff. If you start adding voice to stuff like this, it'll sound even more interesting than this. Ditto 'Live Improv'. You could play tambourine on a tune like that, let alone sing to it. Really cool. Post it here when it arrives.
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:06 am

awjoe wrote:I listened to 'Swansong', but nothing in that's miked, right?
Yeah there's nothing acoustic in there. The only public track I have on SC that contains something I recorded acoustically is Enormity which has some vox in it I did with the NT-1000 (as its a track where the primary 'instrument' was reverb I thought I might just get away with it but that's a rarity).

I actually jumped to 'en si bemol'
Much as I'd love to have written it I can't claim credit for that one - it's a track by someone else that I reposted :D

... 'Live Improv'. You could play tambourine on a tune like that, let alone sing to it
Thanks, I'm glad you like it - that was done on the spur of the moment the other day when Rich visited.

As with threads I've started in the past this one has been really useful, to the point I've progressed in thinking from 'is it worth trying out a different mic?' to a realisation that I should get the treatment done before experimenting with gear so I've tracked Max down in deepest Gnomefordshire for some professional input :thumbup:
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com
 

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:As with threads I've started in the past this one has been really useful, to the point I've progressed in thinking from 'is it worth trying out a different mic?' to a realisation that I should get the treatment done before experimenting with gear so I've tracked Max down in deepest Gnomefordshire for some professional input :thumbup:

Be prepared! Max tells it like it is (or he did to me :D ), but will give you very helpful advice which is always spot-on. And he'll explain how to self-build and precisely what you'll need.

Oh; and ignore negative pejorative comments from naysayers. Just because something's said with categoric certainty doesn't mean it's right. ;)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6925
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Just because something's said with categoric certainty doesn't mean it's right. ;)


Unless Hugh or I said it ;)

and even then, only sometimes .



:D
User avatar
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2842
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: UK
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:48 pm

Or Desmond ...

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7595
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:39 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Be prepared! Max tells it like it is (or he did to me :D ), but will give you very helpful advice which is always spot-on. And he'll explain how to self-build and precisely what you'll need.

Yep, having been in touch it's clear that he's exactly the man I need to spend time with and I'm very much looking forward to the experience.

Mike Stranks wrote:Oh; and ignore negative pejorative comments from naysayers. Just because something's said with categoric certainty doesn't mean it's right. ;)

No worries, cheers ;-)
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com
 

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am

Yes, the days when Rode 'reworked' Chinese mics are long gone. The company now has a massive factory in Australia where they make everything from scratch. It is now a very serious manufacturer which is trampling all over the coat-tails of the established European mic-makers.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24579
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: On mics and the acoustic environment

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:15 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Or Desmond ...

CC

well yes, obviously, I mean... I just assumed everyone understood THAT.....
User avatar
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2842
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: UK
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users