You are here

Drawmer MC2.1 Vs SPL 2 Control

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Drawmer MC2.1 Vs SPL 2 Control

Postby dbfs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:23 pm

Hi folks, I am looking for a monitor Controller to go after my old Benchmark dac1 on route to a set of KH310s, NS10s and a single avantone.

Both These seem well regarded but and I was wondering which would give the most transparent sound.

Any ne experience either or preferably both?

Cheers.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: Drawmer MC2.1 Vs SPL 2 Control

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 am

Performance wise, they are very similar, but the Drawmer has three input sources instead of the SPL's two, while the SPL has a headphone cross-feed feature.

But for me, the killer difference is that the Drawmer has the ability to listen to the stereo difference signal which is essential for aligning stereo tracks and checking the damage done by lossy data-compression (amongst other things), and to mute the left and right speakers individually, allowing listening to mono on a single speaker instead of a phantom centre.

So I'd recommend the Drawmer without hesitation.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jack Ruston » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 am

PLUS the Drawmer has a killer feature...when they were designing it, they found that they could not source 'tv switches' which would mechanically unlatch one input or output when another was selected. Rather than up the cost, they elected to have simple latching switches for all ins and outs, the downside being that you had to press two switches to change from one in or out to another. They worried about this. But it's a HUGE bonus feature...it makes it possible to mix the input sources together. You can monitor your DAW and a cue, or two DAWs etc. It's extremely useful and makes it an essential part of my workflow. I would recommend it without any hesitation.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:28 am

Jack Ruston wrote:But it's a HUGE bonus feature...it makes it possible to mix the input sources together. You can monitor your DAW and a cue, or two DAWs etc.

Indeed, hugely useful. A very well thought out bit of kit and I can also vouch that if you ever hit a problem then Drawmer are amazingly supportive.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby dbfs » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 am

Cheers Guys.

The Drawmer it is so.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs