You are here

Horrible crackling sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Horrible crackling sound

Postby blousy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Hi all. Hoping some gun sound enthusiasts can help me out.

I'm getting some horrible crackling and distortion sounds currently in my recording. I'm using Reaper as the DAW and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as an audio interface. It is random when it happens. Happening sporadically with both Mic, guitar and MIDI inputs. Very frustrating.

Thanks
blousy

Re: Horrible crackling sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi Blousy, welcome to the forum.
Couple of extra questions to help get an understanding of the situation please:
What's your complete set-up? I.e. what's plugged into what and using what cables?
Have you got a recording with an example of the crackling you could share? A private link on soundcloud generally works well.
Cheers
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:00 am

Crackling sounds are sometimes associated with a driver issue or having the buffer size for your interface set too low.

In addition to the information blinddrew asked for, can you confirm that the latest drivers are installed for the Scarlett? If you haven't tried it already it's also worth trying a different USB cable. I have experienced crackling issues myself in the past which were resolved by switching out the USB cable I was using fora longer one, as the shorter one I was using was only just long enough (thus was under a little strain) and would periodically cause audio breakup.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby blousy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:45 am

Hi,

Setup is guitar cable direct into Scarlett and MIDI keyboard directly into PC. I had issues in the weekend also with guitar cable and mic xlr direct into the Scarlett.

Hopefully this link works. It gives a sample of the kind of sounds I'm getting. When lyrics are added it makes them sound awful, robotic and distorted.

https://soundcloud.com/blousy/horrid-sounds

I'll check the buffer/latency rate when I get home. There is zero strain on the usb cable. The Scarlett is only about 4 months old, but I'll reinstall the latest drivers tonight.

Thanks.
blousy

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:00 am

blousy wrote:Hi,

Setup is guitar cable direct into Scarlett and MIDI keyboard directly into PC. I had issues in the weekend also with guitar cable and mic xlr direct into the Scarlett.

Hopefully this link works. It gives a sample of the kind of sounds I'm getting. When lyrics are added it makes them sound awful, robotic and distorted.

https://soundcloud.com/blousy/horrid-sounds

I'll check the buffer/latency rate when I get home. There is zero strain on the usb cable. The Scarlett is only about 4 months old, but I'll reinstall the latest drivers tonight.

Thanks.

Those sounds don't remind me of buffer problems, they sound like intermitent connections more than anything, strange. Check the buffer settings anyway, what's the spec of your PC?
Are you using VST's, or VSTi"s? Also, just a check, make sure no other programs are running, internet off etc.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:01 am

Yep, sounds more like a dodgy connection to me. Firstly try other cables and try the same cables into a different device (an amp for example). How tight is the cable in the socket of the guitar?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Tim Gillett » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am

As Arp and Drew say, it does sound like a bad analog connection. I'm puzzled though why the "horrid sound" is so narrow band. The guitar rhythm track sounds similar to the "Every Day" track but there it's much fuller sounding. Have you tried to EQ or otherwise correct the isolated guitar track? It's best to give us the raw track with all the information intact.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:38 am

blinddrew wrote:Yep, sounds more like a dodgy connection to me.

And to me.

The rhythm to the breakup noise suggests a cable that is swinging as you play, so I think Drew might be on the right line when asking about the security of the plug in the guitar socket (although it could just as easily be a problem at the amp/interface end, too).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:01 pm

And there I was about to post (having listened to the SoundCloud clip) that the problem sounded more like an intermittent connection, only to find that a host of intelligent folks have already agreed with me :headbang:

The 'swinging' cable sounds like a good point too, as the fault is intermittent yet strangely cyclic.

Intermittent connections are the most frustrating things, although they can sometimes generate a laugh or two ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3c2UcB1zQo

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blousy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for your time and ideas.

So most of you are thinking a cable/connection issue. Are we thinking the guitar cable into the audioface? I'll try a different cable/guitar combo and see how that goes.

C
blousy