You are here

How and how often do you clean your studio?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How and how often do you clean your studio?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Realise this may be the single most boring question ever posted here but hey, ho. My studio gets incredibly dusty and dirty, seemingly very quickly. How often do you folkses dust, hoover, wipe and otherwise clean up after yourselves? Any tips for prevention as well as cure? Mr Sheen? Baby wipes? Mini vacuums?

It's not like I live in my studio full time, or anything, but probably spend at least two or three hours a day. Don't smoke, don't have pets but the dust seems to arrive by the bucketload overnight! :frown:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: How and how often do you clean your studio?

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Once every three or four years, whether it needs it or not :bouncy:

Seriously, not very often. Certainly not more than once every few months.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Sorry, I'm not very technical, can you rephrase the question?
;)

The room gets hoovered once a fortnight but that's it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Umm, don't you find the dust rings helps you remember where everything goes?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby GilesAnt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:31 pm

I have literally hovered a dead PC back to life this week. Ten years old and finally failing to boot despite repeated attempts. Opened it up - full of dust - hovered it out and hey presto.
GilesAnt
Poster

Postby paul tha other » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:13 pm

i wipe the top of my monitors once a month,more so to stop the bands writing their name on them...other than that not often at all...
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby IAA » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:47 pm

I keep dust covers on my keyboards, use a micro fibre cloth on everything else and Hoover once a week more so if anything new is on its way. In fact now I come to think about it I probably spend more time cleaning my stuff than using it.... :headbang: :headbang:

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:59 pm

I vacuum at least once a week, sometimes twice (moderately large and very hairy dog makes this something of a necessity), and I use the little brush attachment thing to dust off all KBs, mixer, monitors etc weekly.
Desk on which PC keyboard, little MIDI KB etc sits is wiped with a damp cloth daily.

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote: Any tips for prevention as well as cure?
I used to spend a fair amount of time working in a clean room, and that basically never got dusty. So I can fairly confidently say that if you construct an entrance chamber with two sets doors that can't be opened simultaneously, modify the room so that it's effectively sealed with it's own filtered air supply, and always ensure that you and any clients always wear full oversuit and face mask, then you'll have virtually no issues with dust :thumbup:
In fact I'm pretty sure that I could help you set it up, for a very fair price :mrgreen:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:25 pm

You forgot to add that you need to maintain downward positive air pressure :lol:
Lucky I'm honest, otherwise I might have nicked the project off you
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Folderol wrote:You forgot to add that you need to maintain downward positive air pressure :lol:
I carefully omitted some of the key details to protect valuable IP, which would be useful and highly practical for studio owners everywhere, and you've gone and blurted it out on the internet :protest: :bouncy:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:08 pm

What is this 'hoover' of which you speak?

I clean up by opening the door and letting the stale air walk out of its own accord.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby envamt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Once a month normally or if needed. I use a good beats as it sweeps as it cleans Hoover and all the gear gets a good suck clean with an indispensable ancient brush attachment from an old Vax modified to fit a Hoover used along with a good paintbrush to loosen those hard to get spots. I have yet to break a knob or slider just one damper on my piano from some over zealous L to R brushing. About once a year I might get a damp cloth out for a once over the synths, mixer etc to freshen things up a bit. I once wore out the silk screening on a synth I had so now don't go overboard with the wipes.
envamt
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:45 pm

So I can fairly confidently say that if you construct an entrance chamber with two sets doors that can't be opened simultaneously, modify the room so that it's effectively sealed with it's own filtered air supply, and always ensure that you and any clients always wear full oversuit and face mask, then you'll have virtually no issues with dust :thumbup:
In fact I'm pretty sure that I could help you set it up, for a very fair price

That's really interesting. As you have probably gathered, the studio is now back up and running after that tricky business with the African choir so any help you can give with keeping the brand new premises shipshape would be much appreciated. Mrs Longjohns used to do a bit of sweeping and dusting but is currently away working as a bodyguard for Nigel Farage so is rather busy. Is the filtered air supply noisy?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby BillB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Like some of the others, I vacuum every 1-2 months with a soft brush attachment and then an occasional wipe over with a micro fibre cloth. Only problem is that some post-it labels and some little rubber jack plug dust stoppers don’t survive the vacuum. :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Certainly every time I reorganise my studio, which isn’t very often. Other than that I plead the fifth amendment :D
MOF
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 pm

My synths have dust protector sheets, I wipe my screens about once a week with screenwipe, I do a front panel clean with a soft (unused) paint brush when required and also a bit of hoovering (using a Roland Alpha Juno). I do have a spring clean at Easter because winter is peak music season.

Dust may be coming in through the warm air central heating, from between floorboards without a membrane or other ventilation route. If you think your room is bad, check your PC. Dust clogs heatsinks, chips run hotter and fans work harder.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... g-cleaning

A labour saving & environmentally friendly solution would be to buy a box of dust eating mites from any good internet bio-warehouse.

But you say that your premises are brand new ? That sounds like youve had the builders in – a possible source of dust from: bricks, sand, cement, wood, plaster board, rockwool. In that case keep cleaning regularly until the dust eventually stops reappearing.

When the mites have finished their work, buy a box of mite eating spiders from any good internet bio-warehouse.
N i g e l
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 pm

N i g e l wrote:My synths have dust protector sheets

Mine too, well, most of them. I tend to put them on if I'm not going to be using the gear for a day or two.

My studio is quite cramped which leads to difficulty reaching behind and under certain things so I vacuum the fluff (mainly dog hair in our case) and dust off the floor as and when I think it needs it and wipe down the occasional surface with a moist cloth.

I don't really mind if the cables and other stuff that's out of view gets a mucky (which it does) as I've reconfigured the space enough times now to realise that it's easier to just thoroughly clean everything when doing said re-organisation than it is to keep on top of it all the time.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 am

One thing I've noticed about my current studio is that it gets nothing like as dusty as previous ones did. I guess that could be down to it only being used as a studio and not having everyone walk through it between the kitchen and living area like the previous one. Or the one before that which was in the days when smoking was still allowed in offices so all the gear needed a clean every few weeks.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:29 am

I've never cleaned it, it doesn't seem to show the dirt. My partner is an obsessive ckeaner though, she may sneak in there and do it while I'm not looking.
I had a shock yesterday though, there was a huge tarantula sized spider laying dead on my synth, it scared the life out of me.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 am

Not often enough. :(

I'm slowly spring cleaning my place at the moment and in one room alone, I've emptied the hoover / cleaned the filters 4 times. I am deeply embarassed. On the other hand, it does make the hoover pick up the dust / dirt rather than just move it around.

The studio is next. I had to use a dust mask last time. I suspect that a full NBC outfit may be required. If I don't post by Monday, send in a hazard team ....
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Next