You are here

BSS DPR402, is it worth hanging on to?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

BSS DPR402, is it worth hanging on to?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I've had this for ages, and rarely use it, I'm not sure about it at all, on the whole. I've heard it's a great drum compressor, but I never record drums. It sounds sort of transparent to me, good at just being there, but I've heard opposit opinions about it having real attitude, which I've yet to hear. Sometimes it does make things sound very "nice" or better in some way, not sure. I'm not going to get rid of it, it's pointless as it's not worth a lot, I'm holding on to it as it looks good, lots of lights per square inch.
Any opinions?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: BSS DPR402, is it worth hanging on to?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 pm

It's a very good -- and versatile -- compressor with some unusual options via the tag strip at the back.

It is still prized, so I wouldn't say it was worth nothing -- you could sell it for good money.

https://www.proaudioeurope.com/info/sound-bites/sound-bites-bss-compressors
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's a very good -- and versatile -- compressor with some unusual options via the tag strip at the back.

It is still prized, so I wouldn't say it was worth nothing -- you could sell it for good money.

https://www.proaudioeurope.com/info/sound-bites/sound-bites-bss-compressors

Thanks Hugh, the only resaon it hasn't got much use is that it's balanced operation on XLR's only. I've never owned a mixer that has had balanced inserts.
I'm not keen on using it connected directly to the main outs, as I don't want it on everything. I've got quite a bit of gear like this, what I need is a patch bay but I can't be bothered, especially as I'm trying to downsize. I'll keep it, its not an old Neve, or a Fairchild, that's a lot of money.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Arpangel wrote:Thanks Hugh, the only resaon it hasn't got much use is that it's balanced operation on XLR's only. I've never owned a mixer that has had balanced inserts.

Most balanced gear can be interfaced with unbalanced sources/destinations without too much grief. The easiest way is via a line-transformer box like the ART DTI or ART Cleanbox2, but often a bespoke cable is all that's needed...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Thanks Hugh, the only resaon it hasn't got much use is that it's balanced operation on XLR's only. I've never owned a mixer that has had balanced inserts.

Most balanced gear can be interfaced with unbalanced sources/destinations without too much grief. The easiest way is via a line-transformer box like the ART DTI or ART Cleanbox2, but often a bespoke cable is all that's needed...

Yes, but I've already got one Clean Box too many! If it was a question of just turning the level down it wouldn't be a problem, it's getting it up to a usable level on the 402 that's the problem. I guess a cable wouldn't do that, it would have to be another box.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster